The "Got my D3"/ first impressions thread

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Well both messaging apps are installed so both will have the message. I only get notified by the Mms.apk I installed and deleting messages from it deletes them from the stock Text Messaging app.

on the stock app I disabled notifications and auto-retrieve.

I wasn't a fan of the stock one, tried go-sms pro but wasn't thrilled with it either. My primary desire was changing the color of the notification LED when getting a text versus what I get when receiving an email.

My Mms.apk does that....so texts notify me with multiple rapid short vibrations and a blue LED while emails notify me with the standard double vibrate and green LED.

jmdale1984

Reaction score
Well both messaging apps are installed so both will have the message. I only get notified by the Mms.apk I installed and deleting messages from it deletes them from the stock Text Messaging app.

on the stock app I disabled notifications and auto-retrieve.

I wasn't a fan of the stock one, tried go-sms pro but wasn't thrilled with it either. My primary desire was changing the color of the notification LED when getting a text versus what I get when receiving an email.

My Mms.apk does that....so texts notify me with multiple rapid short vibrations and a blue LED while emails notify me with the standard double vibrate and green LED.

You should try light flow from the market. It can change the led color for almost all notifications (everything except fb for me, using the free version, pro version covers fb and a lot more). It can even change the led color for different contacts.

I love it... it was able to make my led light stay on instead of blink on my D2G, but, so far, that function isn't working on my D3. I already emailed the dev.

jmdale1984

Reaction score
Any chance you could link me to the apk you're using in case that's my problem?

jjhiza

Reaction score
How are all of you liking the form factor of the D3? I played with a pre-release one at my vzw store yesterday, and I loved it. My girlfriend's TB seemed absolutely massive to me, and I was worried that the D3 would feel the same way, but I have to say, the 4" screen, and overall device size is just right; not too big, and not too small... a perfect balance imo. I'm excited to get mine on Thursday, and was just wondering how some of you are liking it. Most of the reviews seem extremely positive so far, so that makes me happy... my only concern it the SD card; a few people have commented that an external SD is mounted as an "extension", and will be used only to store media. True, not true? Also, as someone who has a ton of stuff packed onto my Droid's SD (backups, ROMs, pictures, etc), would you recommend I simply erase everything and start from scratch, or is purchasing a new one more of a viable option? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

jbinbi

Reaction score
It is if you wreck it on purpose to get a new car.

sent from somewhere...

I think people are misunderstanding him here. He said he "threw" it, but I'm pretty sure he meant that it was an accident.

Sarcasm doesn't come out well in txt. It happens. I was just sayin :D

sent from somewhere...

just reading this, but all who jumped all over this, you realize that if you break a d1, you are not going to get a d3 as a replacement, right? They still have refurbed d1s, and if you complain enough, you might get a refurbed d2, but you are not getting a new d3.

haproot

Reaction score
Im diggin the d3 so far. It has grown on me quite a bit. Didn't like it at first but this qhd display isn't going to look any better stretched out to 4.5". 4" is looking about perfect to me thus far. Im still getting used to the physical keyboard as my D1 was a bit smaller.

With the bionic not offering much more performance wise besides possibly more memory I think im gonna stick with the d3. 4g wont be around/stable for quite some time in my area. So no worries there and there's always wifi.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

graffitiwriter

Reaction score
Got my D3 yesterday and I think its a awesome little machine. Only problem I've ran into is with netflix. For some reason it doesn't show up in my market and when I use a netflix apk from somewhere else and try to watch something it just reboots my phone

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

jbinbi

Reaction score
so can someone tell me how to take my sdcard from my old og, stock, that has musics, pictures and apps that i moved to card, and install it the new phone?

safest way would be to copy everything to computer, reformat, then install in droid. Re boot phone, and take out card, and put music and pics back into directories re created by phone.

or is there a simpler way? thanks.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com

Sure. I've noticed when I get a message it says "you have 2 new messages" but it only shows the one and the notification icon is just the one from this app (the old standard android messaging icon). I get the one vibration pattern I set and the blinking blue LED as set..

Index of /apps

Mms.apk

km75

Reaction score
Just received my d3 about an hour ago. Some of my initial thoughts. Surprisingly the music doesn't sound too bad. I say this bcuz the d2's speaker grill wasn't covered, and I don't know where the heck the speaker is at on the d3. I just know its there somewhere and doesn't sound bad. It doesn't sound muffled at all. The first thing I noticed just looking at the phone right out of the box is that the available screen real estate wasn't used to its full potential. The actual usable screen size could have been increased very easily. Also if you remove the chin that's at the bottom of the phone, length-wise there wouldn't be too much difference between the two in that regard. As regards the quality of the screen. The only thing that is real noticeable to me is that on the actual home screens when you transition between them there is a shadow effect. Bloatware? Its as bad as you've been hearing. Keyboard? Definitely as good as you have been hearing. No hulu. No netflix. Hence the reason this phone isn't activated but is running off my d2's wireless tether. By the way the web browsing is definitely faster on the d3 than on my d2 that's running the leaked gb by tbh. Will update when I see a little more of what the phone can do. Oh yeah I was a little worried about the whole back of the phone coming off to get to the battery. Even with that the phone still feels very solid.

Update: downloaded fring fb twitter and power amp pretty much at the same time while streaming pandora in the backgroung. Th phone did pretty good. Pandora never stopped streaming and the apps downloaded at a pretty quick pace. This was done with me still using my d2's wireless tether btw as my d3's wifi. I hated the blur on the d2. Always used launcher pro. The blur on here is not bad. Actually I kinda like it. Still despise the blur toggle widgets though.

Last edited:

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Actually since the droid3 already haves 16gb internal memory, its sees that as an sd card. So if u put your sd card in, it will only be a secondary

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
my only concern it the SD card; a few people have commented that an external SD is mounted as an "extension", and will be used only to store media. True, not true? Also, as someone who has a ton of stuff packed onto my Droid's SD (backups, ROMs, pictures, etc), would you recommend I simply erase everything and start from scratch, or is purchasing a new one more of a viable option? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

It's a storage medium, store whatever you want on it. Will all apps recognize it or not.....can't say. Move what doesn't to the internal storage (/sdcard) using a file manager on the phone as needed. None of the ROMs stored or backups stored are any good and media is the only other thing you mentioned so it'll be fine.

Since it's /sdcard-ext why even bother erasing, just slip it in the phone and go. It's not /sdcard so it shouldn't affect anything.

jmdale1984

Reaction score

Sure. I've noticed when I get a message it says "you have 2 new messages" but it only shows the one and the notification icon is just the one from this app (the old standard android messaging icon). I get the one vibration pattern I set and the blinking blue LED as set..

Index of /apps

Mms.apk

Thanks!

My messages definitely show twice. I'll give this app a try and see where that gets me. Picked up you wallpapers to check that out, too!

Immolate

Reaction score
so can someone tell me how to take my sdcard from my old og, stock, that has musics, pictures and apps that i moved to card, and install it the new phone?

safest way would be to copy everything to computer, reformat, then install in droid. Re boot phone, and take out card, and put music and pics back into directories re created by phone.

or is there a simpler way? thanks.

I'm probably missing something, but why not just plug it into your D3 and go? If you need to move stuff between /sdcard and /sdcard-ext then the stock file application will do that well enough.

mattbooty

Reaction score
Another impression I haven't seen mentioned yet, I absolutely love the new exchange mail client. Its so much more user friendly, easier on the eyes, and displays your folder structure with nested folders. I have about 40 folders, and with the d1 I had to scroll through them all to get to sent, deleted, outbox even though I only had 3 top level folders. Now when I click folders I can see all of the top level folders and system folders in one screen and drill down as needed.

That and the ability to manage a signature and out of office messages is pretty sweet.