The Galaxy Nexus' Battery Killer: Phone calls.

revelated

Reaction score
I've been using this device for over a week...and I am noticing a very disturbing trend.

I know a lot has been made about the battery. And what's weird is that for the purposes of data, it's not *too* bad. But take or make phone calls and all of a sudden you're in the drink. I also notice periods without a signal in the stats, which is something I haven't had an issue with on the RAZR. It makes me wonder if the 4G radio is no less efficient than other devices but the actual phone radio is the battery hog here.

To put it in perspective, I took a 30 minute call on the Nexus. Battery dropped by 25%. It took a 2 hour conference call on the RAZR to experience the same battery drop.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Did you have the same apps on the phone? If not then it's not a fair comparison, also what's the battery size or mah on both batteries my point is that you can't compare one gallon of water to an eight once bottle of water because even if you have the same battery size but different settings and or apps then it's not an accurate test. Have you rooted your phone? Many users find that rooting increases their battery life.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

orion2001

Reaction score
I've been using this device for over a week...and I am noticing a very disturbing trend.

I know a lot has been made about the battery. And what's weird is that for the purposes of data, it's not *too* bad. But take or make phone calls and all of a sudden you're in the drink. I also notice periods without a signal in the stats, which is something I haven't had an issue with on the RAZR. It makes me wonder if the 4G radio is no less efficient than other devices but the actual phone radio is the battery hog here.

To put it in perspective, I took a 30 minute call on the Nexus. Battery dropped by 25%. It took a 2 hour conference call on the RAZR to experience the same battery drop.

That is not representative of normal GN operation. I was testing this out over the weekend and I ended up making a 31 minute call on my GN and I was surprised to note pretty low drain on my battery when I was done. I don't remember the exact number, but it was in the single digits. And I only get 1-2 bars of signal at home.

I think there is something else that is not playing along well with your phone.

Htown315

Reaction score
Phone calls is also my phones kryptonite, although not as bad as OP. My phone gets stellar battery life EXCEPT voice calls. I lose around 13% an hour. I really hope they can fix this as it should be closer to 8%(with all toggles off of course).

OP
revelated

revelated

Reaction score
Did you have the same apps on the phone? If not then it's not a fair comparison, also what's the battery size or mah on both batteries my point is that you can't compare one gallon of water to an eight once bottle of water because even if you have the same battery size but different settings and or apps then it's not an accurate test. Have you rooted your phone? Many users find that rooting increases their battery life.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Same apps due to Google backup and restore. Neither phone is rooted; should not need to root to be able to take a call.

Also there is literally nothing running on the Nexus. And it's connected via my home wireless more often than not. Again, in terms of data only, the phone is fine on battery. Phone calls bring it to its proverbial knees.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Nealius

Reaction score
wait wut? you guys make phone calls? no wonder you have crappy battery life. I just uninstalled updates and disabled the phone app!!

ok a bit more serious. I have noticed the same, but not as bad as described. I thought it was due to me yelling at my Ex tho. Louder yelling = more battery power needed. 30 min call might be 10%

prowler85

Reaction score
wait wut? you guys make phone calls? no wonder you have crappy battery life. I just uninstalled updates and disabled the phone app!!

ok a bit more serious. I have noticed the same, but not as bad as described. I thought it was due to me yelling at my Ex tho. Louder yelling = more battery power needed. 30 min call might be 10%

I believe mine is also in the 10% per hour range. Which equates to about a 5 hour talk time. Which I also believe is about as advertised. So it sounds like the op has something else going on. Of course mine is rooted with custom ROM, so it's not a valid comparison, but that could be the "something else going on" - such as an older radio. Possibly could be fixed by updating radio or waiting until 4.0.3 comes out officially (which should be in a few weeks).

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Anandtech brought this to light in the G Nex review:

AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy Nexus & Ice Cream Sandwich Review

Look at the talk time battery life....This is why when I posted in a battery thread recently on here..I asked the guy to add phone calls in to see how his battery does. Radio updates could make it better. When ever I get a chance to do personal battery life tests...I try to use my phone(s) like I normally would but longer for things. Calls being one. I dont add in GPS cuz I dont use it as often and you are more than likely in a car with a car charger.

Anytime I see a battery life thread or post and calls is near the bottom in screen shots...I kinda skip over it. It doesnt really impress me.

Last edited:
OP
revelated

revelated

Reaction score
To extend this test, I sat on the phone for an hour on the RAZR, screen full bright, GPS, Bluetooth (was in my car) and the battery went down maybe 10%.

Played a game yesterday on the Nexus, screen full bright, for 1 hour, battery went down maybe 10%. Did a 20 minute call and all of a sudden it's taking a dive of 15%.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Are you guys running the leaked radio? My battery is pretty good on voice calls. I don't make calls often but when I do it holds up.