The Camera SUCKS...

faxman75

Reaction score
the camera is the only complaint i have about the droid too...
my LG enV took wayyy better pics than my droid. but i don't really care, its just a camera phone.

the thing that really annoyed my was when i very first got it, the whole camera app lagged horribly. the flash would turn on and then turn off and THEN it would take the picture. and then when i clicked to look at my photos it took 20+ seconds to load.
fortunately this only lasted about a week and now its fine... weird.

I had this exact same issue. It would force close on me all the time as well. Then a week or so later, it just stopped doing it. That said, I rarely use the camera because the pictures are such poor quality. I'm still reading this thread and considering the 5x program.

slinky

Reaction score
My pictures were worse with the 5X program and had some dithering or texturing effects on some of them. There is no guarantee or reason the 5x program will take any better pix. Unless the API provides access, this is the best you'll get with this phone.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ok after reading thru this thread, I still cant quite determine which seems to be better for the droid, the pro zoom or the vignette.. anyone use both and have any optinios? I just want the dam graniness to go away.. pics to be super clear and to have them featured on the cover of Time... :) No, but the clear part would be nice ..

Also, forgot to ask, why am I getting network error when I try to purchase from the market?

Thanks

butch350

Reaction score
Is there anything I can do to make this camera be any better in terms of pic quality?
I came from a blackberry storm2 and it had a 3.2 the blew this camera away.... please tell me there is an app worth buying that takes good pics?

I mean the file size for 5MP pics should be well over 1.5 MB and they are under 800K

I use my camera ALL THE TIME... so its kind of essential I get this thing clicking...

I looked through the apps but don't want to buy anything and it be crap too..

Thanks..

Mine produces a 14mb file.

There are settings for the camera that, MUST BE set correctly to get a half way decent picture.

Settings for picture quality like, normal, fine, etc...

When I really want GREAT pictures - I whip out my Nikon Digitals.

Good luck with the camera settings. It also helps to know just a few basics concepts of basic photography. (not being sarcastic) :icon_eek:

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I wish I could get my old LG Dare camera on my Droid, the camera on the Dare was freakin' amazing.

Riley

Reaction score
My largest picture file size is 1 M. Which is way small for a true 5 mp picture. The sensor design and file compression must be wacky.

bloodstains

Reaction score
I just tried Snap Photo Pro and couldn't get it to work. I was really excited about a lot of it's features, but when I try taking pictures it just freezes on a black screen. Hitting the menu key brings up settings, presumably to edit the picture, but nothing else works. Not even pressing the home key.

I've been using Pro Zoom Camera 5x and it's okay.. Doesn't seem to be that much better than the stock Camera app, plus it's ugly, so I rarely use it.

Interested in trying Vignette. I really like those pictures posted above that somebody took using Vignette. It has other features besides just Vignette, I'm assuming? I'll have to search for it in the market.

Here is a picture I took using the stock camera app, one of my favorites. When blown up big it was a little grainy. I downsized it and now it looks pretty good:

19579257436873748500693.jpg

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I just tried Snap Photo Pro and couldn't get it to work. I was really excited about a lot of it's features, but when I try taking pictures it just freezes on a black screen. Hitting the menu key brings up settings, presumably to edit the picture, but nothing else works. Not even pressing the home key.

I've been using Pro Zoom Camera 5x and it's okay.. Doesn't seem to be that much better than the stock Camera app, plus it's ugly, so I rarely use it.

Interested in trying Vignette. I really like those pictures posted above that somebody took using Vignette. It has other features besides just Vignette, I'm assuming? I'll have to search for it in the market.

Here is a picture I took using the stock camera app, one of my favorites. When blown up big it was a little grainy. I downsized it and now it looks pretty good:

19579257436873748500693.jpg

Well it says at Snap Photo in the market that its not compatible with Droid..

Still dont know why I get errors trying to use a CC in market..

bloodstains

Reaction score
Oh, haha. Didn't see that. I just got the apk from a friend to try it out and uninstalled. My bad!!

Rayv

Reaction score

I was playing with the Vignette demo last night. From what I could tell I liked it. The images on the demo are tiny, so a bit hard for me to compare to my stock camera taking the same photo. I really did like the different effects. There are way more than just the vignette style. I am still debating on spending the $4.50 to buy the actual app.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

I was playing with the Vignette demo last night. From what I could tell I liked it. The images on the demo are tiny, so a bit hard for me to compare to my stock camera taking the same photo. I really did like the different effects. There are way more than just the vignette style. I am still debating on spending the $4.50 to buy the actual app.

Well I jut bought it, and if I can find out where the hell it saved the pics Ill let you know.. as I dont see a "Share" option anywhere on it..

Update: Ok well you have to check under settings to get it to save with other pics..sdcard.

Says saved to SDCard, altho its not their, and is a Vingnette folder but only 1 of the maybe 12 I took and saved is in there..

bloodstains

Reaction score
Yeah I was just messing around with the Vignette demo, spent about 15 minutes trying to find where the pictures are stored. No luck yet. Wish it had a share button! It's gotta be here somewhere, right? I checked "store in default camera location" - nope, not in there. Unchecked it, searched all my folders, didn't find anything. I was thinking that might be a restriction on the demo, but if you bought it and can't find it, then who knows?

Rayv

Reaction score
The photos are stored in your gallery in its own folder. From there you can share, but not from the actual app from what I could find.