The camera is horrible

harv2000

Reaction score
Before panicking, try wiping off the lens on the d2. Sounds silly, but it cured a world of hurt on the d1. There was a light coating of oil on the lens.

OP
pool_shark

pool_shark

Reaction score
How about a Vignette pic?

I took one earlier and it was really bad. I changed Vignette this time to take the shot as Velvia and it looks a lot better.

Attachments

• downloadfile.jpeg
    downloadfile.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 309
OP
pool_shark

pool_shark

Reaction score
Before panicking, try wiping off the lens on the d2. Sounds silly, but it cured a world of hurt on the d1. There was a light coating of oil on the lens.

Thanks, I'll try it, but if I remember correctly, the actual problem with the original Droid camera was a programming error that had something to do with a date.

DocWalt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
You're comparing two totally different settings on the cameras. Turn the resolution up, and set all the settings to auto on the Droid, and watch the picture quality improve drastically. However it's set right now is why the picture quality is atrocious.

Oh, and don't use the zoom, it's a digital zoom (essentially cropping the picture) and makes pictures come out terrible as well.

truckrod

Reaction score
I Agree the camera on this phone is junk The 8 megapixels is a lie it is just printed on there it is really a 1 megapixel and y should you have to git a app to make the camera better no other phone has needed that

ripsting

Reaction score
I'll second the OP's observation. I came from a Samsung Omnia as well. I'm disappointed in the Droid 2's camera. Much more grain in the pictures, although Lightroom on my PC can clear it up at the loss of some detail.

th3drow

Reaction score
i don't really notice anything bad in the photos. turn your iso down if it is too grainy, automatic iso usually makes it a bit high. but pictures came out fine for me, though really you can't expect much out of a phones camera.

Kamokazi

Reaction score
I Agree the camera on this phone is junk The 8 megapixels is a lie it is just printed on there it is really a 1 megapixel and y should you have to git a app to make the camera better no other phone has needed that

The D2 is 5MP, not 8MP, and it does actually produce 5 million pixels (5,018,112 to be precise).

You appear to have the Droid X, which is 8MP, are you in the right section? And FWIW, the DX camera is supposedly one of the best smartphone cameras out there.

In any case, I think all cell cameras suck and hardly use them unless absolutely necessary. Of course I rarely take any pictures at all. :icon_ banana:

OP
pool_shark

pool_shark

Reaction score
You're comparing two totally different settings on the cameras. Turn the resolution up, and set all the settings to auto on the Droid, and watch the picture quality improve drastically. However it's set right now is why the picture quality is atrocious.

Oh, and don't use the zoom, it's a digital zoom (essentially cropping the picture) and makes pictures come out terrible as well.

How am I comparing 2 different settings?

The resolution on the Droid is set to 5, the Omnia is automatic 5.
ISO on the Droid is set to auto, and the exposure is set at the default of 0.
None of that needs to be adjusted on the Omnia. I did a zoom on the Omnia pic and the droid pic, so if your theory that zooming is bad is correct, it should be just as bad with the Omnia.

OP
pool_shark

pool_shark

Reaction score
i don't really notice anything bad in the photos. turn your iso down if it is too grainy, automatic iso usually makes it a bit high. but pictures came out fine for me, though really you can't expect much out of a phones camera.

I'll try turning the ISO down. As far as not expecting too much from a phone camera, I don't buy that argument.
The camera isn't supposed to be professional quality but it isn't supposed to be junk either. This by default takes pics like my Treo 700 did and it was only 1.3 MP.

DocWalt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
If you're using 5MP on both, you're resizing the images somewhere. The Droid image is a LOT smaller than the Omnia's.

OP
pool_shark

pool_shark

Reaction score
If you're using 5MP on both, you're resizing the images somewhere. The Droid image is a LOT smaller than the Omnia's.

I disagree. View the picture info.

Omnia
2.42 KB (2,480 bytes)
100px × 75px

Droid
2.39 KB (2,452 bytes)
100px × 76px

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I am only going to say one thing: The camera on the Omnia *sucked* compared to the Droid's. You are imagining this, or you are changing the settings unknown to yourself. Lighting is also completely dependent on photo outcome. But as an owner of the Omnia, and the Droid, whose camera hardware is identical, you are mistaken.

I'm not going to debate this with you. I have taken a ton of pics with the Omnia and each one was crystal clear, even from a distance. The ones I just took with the droid are very grainy.

Google droid camera sucks and you'll see I'm not the only one who sees it.

I googled, "omnia camera sucks" and yes omnia camera sucks too!! :p

wojtalsd

Reaction score
SCH-I910

PICTURE TAKEN 8/15/2010 9:29PM

640X480

RESOLUTION 96DPI

ISO -425

EXPOSURE TIME 1/29 SECOND

DROID 2

PICTURE TAKEN 8/16/2010 1:30AM

736X560

RESOLUTION 300DPI

ISO - 400

EXPOSURE TIME 1/8 SECOND

Just a few details on both of the pictures. Though you had posted that you took the pictures one after another? Also why would you use flash with the droid and not with the samsung?

OP
pool_shark

pool_shark

Reaction score
SCH-I910

PICTURE TAKEN 8/15/2010 9:29PM

640X480

RESOLUTION 96DPI

ISO -425

EXPOSURE TIME 1/29 SECOND

DROID 2

PICTURE TAKEN 8/16/2010 1:30AM

736X560

RESOLUTION 300DPI

ISO - 400

EXPOSURE TIME 1/8 SECOND

Just a few details on both of the pictures. Though you had posted that you took the pictures one after another? Also why would you use flash with the droid and not with the samsung?

I did take the pics one after the other. I took the omnia pic first, then put it down, took the droid out of my pocket and took the pic.
I didn't use a flash on either picture. I had been playing with the settings trying to get a better picture, maybe that one wasn't taken with the defaults as I thought.
I have no idea where that timestamp came from. I was asleep at 1:30 AM.

The info on the camera for the droid pic says 736x560, 160kb 8/15/10 9:30.