The Archos 97 Carbon Tablet Now Available for $250

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Archos_97_Carbon_tablet.jpeg

Archos just launched their newest tablet called the 97 Carbon. The tablet has some decent specs especially for a 10-inch tab, and a price tag of only $249.99. It actually compares fairly favorably against the Nexus 7, since it is a 10-inch tablet with 16GB of storage at the same price point as the 16GB Nexus 7. Unfortunately the obvious exceptions are that the Nexus 7 has Jelly Bean, whereas this tablet still comes with ICS, and the 97 Carbon only has a single-core processor. It is posible that it may get an upgrade to Jelly Bean in the future, but there has been no official statement regarding this, so we can't count on it. The Archos 97 Carbon comes with the following specs:
  • 1 GHz single core ARM Cortex A8 CPU
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 16 GB Storage
  • microSD card slot as well
  • 9.7 inch IPS display having a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels
  • Android 4.0 ICS
  • USB port
  • Access to the Google Play Store.
What do you guys think? Does this look like a good bargain for a 10-inch tablet?

Source: Archos

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
pass .... processor kills it

acousticshade

Reaction score
pass .... processor kills it

Yup, ditto. Don't think I would ever buy a 10" tab with less than what the N7 has. It would be just too slow. The JB+N7 combo has spoiled me and I seriously think these other tab manufacturers need to wake up and start developing the next N7 killer.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yup, ditto. Don't think I would ever buy a 10" tab with less than what the N7 has. It would be just too slow. The JB+N7 combo has spoiled me and I seriously think these other tab manufacturers need to wake up and start developing the next N7 killer.

What does the N7 have? What is low end and top end as far as tablet CPU's? I've been considering getting a tablet.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
The N7 has a QUAD CORE processor. (Advantage N7)
This has a SINGLE core which is considered the low end.
The N7 doesn't have a SD card slot. (Advantage: every other Android tablet).

I think this is still a great deal. I'd say the first good 10" tablet at a sweet price point. If I didn't already get a Refurb Thrive for $209 a few weeks ago, I'd get this.
Still... would be a much more attractive tab to the more demanding folks out there if it had at least a dual core. Most would agree a dual is the minimum you should buy. A few of us would consider a single at the right price... which I think this is.

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
First ive heard of Lepan2. Looks good.
Except Ive never heard of that company. Not a deal breaker though at that pricepoint.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Still take my touchpad running CM over this. Its dual core running at 1.7Ghz :D

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

acousticshade

Reaction score
The N7 has a QUAD CORE processor. (Advantage N7)
This has a SINGLE core which is considered the low end.
The N7 doesn't have a SD card slot. (Advantage: every other Android tablet).

I think this is still a great deal. I'd say the first good 10" tablet at a sweet price point. If I didn't already get a Refurb Thrive for $209 a few weeks ago, I'd get this.
Still... would be a much more attractive tab to the more demanding folks out there if it had at least a dual core. Most would agree a dual is the minimum you should buy. A few of us would consider a single at the right price... which I think this is.

It really depends on what you want to do with the tablet also. Many people would find a single core usable because they aren't running any graphics intense games or processor hungry apps, BUT, the useful life of a single core device will be much less than a dual or quad core device as more of the newer apps will gravitate toward higher end processing power requirements. And if you do want to unlock the full potential of your device, it's worth it IMO to spend the money on the device with the bigger processor.

Think of it like a Ford Mustang. Do you want the 4 cylinder or the 8 cylinder version? If all you are doing is going to the store and want to look classy while doing it, the 4 cylinder will suffice. For reading & web browsing, a good single core processor is perfectly fine. Me personally, I want my tablet to have the V8.

A final thought: the same CPU/GPU combo in a 10" tablet will be slower than a 7" version because the larger screen size will require more processing power to run. That's one of the reasons the N7 is very snappy and can compete with much higer end 10" Android tablets - it's got less pixels to redraw.