Texts won't send. I receive texts multiple times. Keyboard won't work.

Anubis

Reaction score
Those three problems have been plaguing me for months. It's gotten worse and worse to the point where I can't stand it any longer.

My phone is the Droid X.

Here's what's been happening:

1. The main thing is that my texts won't send anymore when I turn my screen off or even exit out of the text message window. I have to keep my phone on and on that screen for at least 5 minutes until it finally sends. Before this, I could just text, send it, turn my screen off, and put it in my pocket and not worry about it sending. With my job and my life, I can't be doing this. I need a fix for this if possible.

2. This problem isn't as big as the other two but someone will send me one text and I will receive 2-6 times. I'll either receive all of them at once, or I will receive one text, and then 5 minutes later get it again, and then again 5 more minutes, and so on and so on. Now this can get very annoying when I am quickly texting and I keep getting texts like 15 times. I need a fix for this as well if possible.

3. One of the most annoying things about all this is my keyboard is not typing. I'll click on the "insert message here" box and start typing but the letters won't appear. The word suggestions will appear and whatnot acting like I am typing but it won't. My only temporary solution to this is exiting out and going back into the text but it doesn't seem to actually work as I am finding myself sitting there for about 10 minutes exiting and entering back into the texts over and over.

This all started a little while back when Android updated their software. These problems weren't as prevalent but over time they've gotten worse and worse. I went to the Verizon store and their only solution was to do a factory reset. I really don't want to do that if I don't have to so you guys are my last shot before I'm force to do it. Any and all possible solutions to any of these problems are welcome. I will try anything at this point.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Droid x? to start do you have the reminder thing turned on? Also, do you have more than 1 texting app? Chomp or any others?

OP
Anubis

Anubis

Reaction score
What reminder thing? I don't believe I have anything like that running. Also I don't have any other texting app. Just the default one.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
If my memory is correct their is a way to get your phone to remind you that you got texted every 10 minutes or so. All it does is act like it received another text but its the same text. I cant seem to find it on my phone so maybe im thinking of an external app. Do you have any power saving apps like juice defender? Power saving apps save ower by shutting of data when you turn off your screen so it would make sense if your not able to send any texts like you listed in 1.Lol, it might be easier just to list all your apps. And just to nuke the situation, i wouldn't suggest doing this without further troubleshooting, but if you dont want to spend more time on this issue then you could try factory resetting your phone. Maybe you have your memory overloaded with to many texts or something but if you reset your device then itl be like when you first got the device. I can try to troubleshooting some more if you want, or i could walk you through a factory reset with minimal loss of your important data. When you start getting as many issues with it as your having i think thats going to be the direction to head after a bit more narrowing.

OP
Anubis

Anubis

Reaction score
Thank you for your help with this. I really appreciate it. None of the apps or features you've mentioned are anything I've used ever. Here's a list of apps I have if this will help:
  • 3G Mobile Hotspot
  • Android Comic Viewer
  • Advanced Task Killer
  • Air Horn
  • Alarm & Timer
  • Amazon Kindle
  • Amazon MP3
  • Angry Birds
  • Apps (Verizon)
  • AudioManager
  • Backup Assistant
  • Barcode Scanner
  • Battle.net Mobile Authenticator
  • Blockbuster
  • Books (Google)
  • Browser
  • Calculator
  • Calendar
  • Camcorder
  • Camera
  • CarDock
  • CityID
  • ColorNote
  • Contacts
  • Dialer
  • DLNA
  • Docs (Google)
  • Dolphin Browser HD
  • Downloads
  • Drag Racing
  • DroidLight
  • Earth (Google)
  • Email
  • Emergency Alerts
  • Facebook
  • Fandango
  • Fantasy Football '11
  • Files
  • FM Radio
  • FxCamera
  • Gallery
  • GLWG
  • Gmail
  • GO Launcher EX
  • Google Reader
  • Google Search
  • Google+
  • gStrings Free
  • Music
  • Music (Google)
  • My Accounts
  • My Verizon Mobile
  • Navigation
  • News
  • News & Weather
  • NFL Mobile
  • NHL GameCenter
  • Order and Chaos
  • Parkdroid
  • Places
  • Poynt
  • Quickoffice
  • Robo Defense
  • Settings
  • Shopper (Google)
  • Skype Mobile
  • Snowboard
  • Social Networking
  • Solitaire
  • SoundHound
  • StumbleUpon
  • Swiftkey X (This isn't being used anymore but still on my phone)
  • SyncMyPix
  • Tabs
  • Talk
  • Text Messaging
  • The Series Notifier
  • The Sims 3
  • The Weather Channel
  • Theme Settings
  • Translate
  • TV Guide Mobile
  • TweetDeck
  • Twitter
  • Uninstaller
  • Urbanspoon
  • V CAST Media Manager
  • Vampires Live
  • Vaulty Free
  • Virtual City
  • Virtual City Playground
  • Voice Commands
  • Voice Search
  • Voicemail
  • VZ Navigator
  • Wells Fargo
  • Wikidroid
  • Words with Friends
  • World War
  • WoW Armory
  • Youtube
  • GOWidget
If none of these are the reason why, I would appreciate help with the factory reset.

Last edited:

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help with this. I really appreciate it. None of the apps or features you've mentioned are anything I've used ever. Here's a list of apps I have if this will help
If none of these are the reason why, I would appreciate help with the factory reset.
Hmmm, indeed i dont see any problematic apps. I do see the taskiller. Uninstall that, its of no use. Lots of controversy in that argument but IMO, dont really need it. How many text messages do you have? Does it auto erase? also are you rooted? Your problems really sound like a memory problem, can you go to settings/storage setting and then tell me what the available space on your internal memory is? Sorry for the amount of questions btw, its a challenge not having the device with me to fix. :happy3:

OP
Anubis

Anubis

Reaction score
No all the questions are fine. If it fixes the problem, I'm happy. I uninstalled the Task Killer. I know what you mean when you talk about the controversy. Ummm I have quite a good amount of texts but they auto-erase after 100 I think. And I have no idea what rooted means.

SD Card:
Total space: 14.81 GB
Available Space 549MB

Application storage:
Available space: 5.53 GB

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
First factory reset prep. Youll need to backup your apps, messages and call log. Apps arn't as important because google will auto retrieve them when you log back onto the device, which brings out a point, DO NOT do this if you don't know your gmail password. lol, both my sisters also my father created their gmail accounts on their phones and did a factory reset at one point in time and had to create another account because they couldnt remember their password. Good Backup apps: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackup&feature=more_from_developer . if you dont like that then at least backup your messages: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync&hl=en , also keep in mind your applications data will be deleted so angry bird saves will be gone unless you back them up, i could post a link but im curious to know if your rooted or not.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
hold off on my last, i still am doing some troubleshooting with you, i was just getting that done while i had a lot of time before my next class. prof dont like phones. :)

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
No all the questions are fine. If it fixes the problem, I'm happy. I uninstalled the Task Killer. I know what you mean when you talk about the controversy. Ummm I have quite a good amount of texts but they auto-erase after 100 I think. And I have no idea what rooted means.

SD Card:
Total space: 14.81 GB
Available Space 549MB

Application storage:
Available space: 5.53 GB
wow plenty of internal space then, 5gb is plenty. Lets moveon to ram. Settings/Applications/Runnings Services In the "running" column, on botom it should tell you haw much ram is used and how much is free. list both here. Also, just for fun, in "All" column tell me what it says on bottom as well.

OP
Anubis

Anubis

Reaction score
Running:
320MB used
64MB free

All:
.91GB used
5.6GB free

I do know my gmail password and I don't know what rooted means.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Running:
320MB used
64MB free

All:
.91GB used
5.6GB free

I do know my gmail password and I don't know what rooted means.
64mb is plenty for ram. my d1 is 31mb left so i belive thats not the issue either. So factory reset it is. How old is you droid x? Do you care about your app data such as your gamesaves? only rooted phones can get app data, so since you are obviously not rooted unfortunetly u cant get that data. i think the angry birds backup in market is an exception. Hard Reset Droid X | Technipages do this to factory reset the device once you backup your stuff. after that, login and then hopefully your apps will sync up from google. once you login to be honest you should just set your device down and let it do its thing for 20-30min.

OP
Anubis

Anubis

Reaction score
Do I have to worry about my pictures and videos being deleted? I have some on my memory card and some of my phone.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do I have to worry about my pictures and videos being deleted? I have some on my memory card and some of my phone.
Move all your personal data from your internal memory to sdcard. you might have to dump your sd card on your pc first becuase looks like your at only 500mb on your sdcard but yes, good catch.

OP
Anubis

Anubis

Reaction score
So I just deleted quite a few apps including the one that changed my whole theme and background and I restarted my phone and since then....none of the problems listed have happened yet. But if one thing happens again, tonight I'll prepare for a factory reset.