"Text message not sent" - Addr.Vcnt., 0

stranger3

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am desperately in need of some help. I picked up a new-old-stock Motorola Droid 2 Global (specifically the A956 model). The system version on it is 4.5.629.A956.Verizon.en.US and Android version 2.3.4. I am on Verizon 3G as I type this and I can make calls flawlessly, but I cannot send out text messages (not to mention I have unlimited texts on my plan).

I've spent hours Googling the problem and wasn't able to come up with anything. I went in under Applications and tried clearing the data for Messages and Text Messaging with a reboot following. Then I tried sending text messages to varying number styles (i.e. 1-555-555-5555, and 555-555-5555, then without hyphens, etc., etc.) Also tried installing GoSMS and Handcent, thinking that would change something and neither one did. Finally tried dialing *228 and re-activating my phone for Verizon and that didnt help matters either.

Even though I know this phone is outdated, I really like it, it's "brand new", and it's what I am familiar with. Is there anything left that I could try to get it to work, or am I out of options? I would really, very-much-so appreciate any help anyone may be able to provide. I don't want to have to go with another phone. I am open to any ideas that will steer me in the right direction... thank you so much!

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Last edited:

silver6054

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am desperately in need of some help. I picked up a new-old-stock Motorola Droid 2 Global (specifically the A956 model). The system version on it is 4.5.629.A956.Verizon.en.US and Android version 2.3.4. I am on Verizon 3G as I type this and I can make calls flawlessly, but I cannot send out text messages (not to mention I have unlimited texts on my plan).

I've spent hours Googling the problem and wasn't able to come up with anything. I went in under Applications and tried clearing the data for Messages and Text Messaging with a reboot following. Then I tried sending text messages to varying number styles (i.e. 1-555-555-5555, and 555-555-5555, then without hyphens, etc., etc.) Also tried installing GoSMS and Handcent, thinking that would change something and neither one did. Finally tried dialing *228 and re-activating my phone for Verizon and that didnt help matters either.

Even though I know this phone is outdated, I really like it, it's "brand new", and it's what I am familiar with. Is there anything left that I could try to get it to work, or am I out of options? I would really, very-much-so appreciate any help anyone may be able to provide. I don't want to have to go with another phone. I am open to any ideas that will steer me in the right direction... thank you so much!

I recently had this problem twice, on my (rooted) 4.5.629 device, text messaging suddenly stopped working, I could not receive them and sending failed (but without an explicit error message). I was using Handcent so I did the opposite from you, and tried stock, but same issue. I fixed it by doing a factory reset. I reinstalled handcent and after about 10 days the problem happened again. So I did a factory reset, and have since remained on stock text messaging, and things have been fine for over a month. But, since I don't know what caused it in the first place, no guarantee!

But if yours never worked (because it is new) I would be more inclined to do the SBF recommended by themib, along with the wipe data.

dmicah

Reaction score
This problem can occur when importing a phone book from outlook, as a mismatch can happen between the default outlook profile for phone numbers and the local carrier's willingness to accept a text. Some Verizon markets in the US don't like +1 (555) 555-5555 as telephone number format. Your profile doesn't give your location. Try texting to numbers of the form (555) 555-5555

OP
S

stranger3

Reaction score
Well, I have been putting my problem on hold because I've been too busy with other things in life. I am still at square one... I went to check out the 'SBF' thing that was mentioned earlier, and as I dug deeper it looks like I need a computer to be able to update my phone that way. I don't have a computer (that's why I am using my Droid phone) and nobody I'm good friends with has one with web access (except some relatives that live 12 hours away... argh!)

Is there any way I can update my new phone using itself? Or is there any other possible way to fix this texting problem I have? For what it's worth, I am located in the U.S. I guess if there's no way to fix my phone without hooking it up to a computer with internet access, then I'm screwed for sending/receiving text messages...

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
You can factory reset, without pc, may fix your problem

You can flash sbf, with pc without web
Just have to download all files on phone
Moto drivers, rsdlite/sbf or 629 Linux ezsbf method
And a decent pc with usb 2.0 or 3.0