Text message alert while on the phone

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
I am thinking there is probably a solution to this but I am unable to find it. When you are on the phone and receive a text I do not get any sort of alert. Previous phones would give me a beep or something to let me know I had gotten a text. However if your phone is set to vibrate as well as ring when you get a text the vibrations still go off but without any noise. It wouldnt be a big deal except the vibrate noise apparently is very audible and annoying to whoever you are on the phone with. I am one of the few who really like the stock messaging application so I am not using hancent or anything like that. Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Sleeve

Reaction score
You're going to get a notification icon in your top bar if you get a text. When you're done with your call, check your icons before you lock and pocket.

You want something that makes noise, while you're talking? Really?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Handcent can do this. It's one of the 4 billion options it provides.

allsounds

Reaction score
Mine Vibrates if I get a text on the phone, it is actually pretty annoying and the person on the other end always wonders what it is.

OP
I

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
This was exactly the problem. They always ask what happened... I like to know if i got a text because sometimes I will be on the phone while waiting in my car and someone will text me and ask me something. If i am on the phone for 30 minutes I like to know if I have a text. Previous phones I had would just make 1 beep to let you know you had an incoming call, text ect. If you have ring/vibrate set for notifications it vibrates but does not beep. The vibrate is just really annoying to people on the other end.

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Handcent can do this. It's one of the 4 billion options it provides.

I got handcent and it makes a distinct sound when I receive a text while talking on the phone. It does not annoy me yet lets me know I have a text. Like Kwmayo said its an option in handcent.

svttech76

Reaction score
Switch to handcent, its much better than the stock app and you can have it notify you of a incoming text during a call. Missed call is a good app too. I use that app just for what it says and it works great

blackbushido

Reaction score
Test message alert while on the phone

Hello. A couple of questions. Which phone(s) are you referring to?? The DX,DC or DB and how does chompsms work for something like that of Handcent?? Thank you for your timely response

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hello. A couple of questions. Which phone(s) are you referring to?? The DX,DC or DB and how does chompsms work for something like that of Handcent?? Thank you for your timely response

i use ChompSMS and it works great. you can have notifications with either a tone, tone/vibrate, or just vibrate. Doesn't matter which phone either cause ChompSMS is compatible with them all. It's a personal preference as to which texting app you want to you, i personally settled with chompSMS after using Handcent for a couple months.

blackbushido

Reaction score
Test message alert while on the phone

Yeah, I tried Handcent as well for a while and wasn't really impressed with it.It's a nice app, but I was much more drawn toward chompsms espically after they improved the smileys!! I've really become a fan first when I had starttalking!!Now,this is a REAL hands-free app!! This app is linked to chompsms. You should check it out!!! The only bad thing is, that you can't use it with bluetooth headsets which REALLY makes no sense!!! Defeats the whole purpose!!