Tasker or Setting Profiles help

baldybill

Reaction score
I have a Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.0.4, rooted
I am trying to get either Setting Profiles or Tasker to do a couple of things but all I am finding is info that doesn't work with Android 4.0 or info from 2 years ago.

Here's what I would like to do:
Automatically turn on GPS when I run apps like Navigation, Foursquare, etc.
Automatically checkin on foursquare when I am at a couple different places
Automatically set my phone to silent according to my google calendar

Any pointers?

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Tasker can do pretty much everything it seems. Setting the gps to turn on with a list of apps is very easy to do. I don't know if you've installed it yet, but I can help with that if you need.
I've never tried the check in, just because I am afraid of battery drain checking for location all the time. That could just be in my head though.
I know you can link it to 3rd party stuff, so I would assume that it's possible to sync to google calendar, there may also be a calendar app that does this.
Most things I need to set and can't figure out, I just do a google search for. Not trying to be a d¡(k, just telling you to search, but that's how I do it. I'm on old D2 and don't have profiles, so tasker is my go to for setting stuff like this up.

kbrown.1407

Reaction score
Hope this helps

I have a Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.0.4, rooted
I am trying to get either Setting Profiles or Tasker to do a couple of things but all I am finding is info that doesn't work with Android 4.0 or info from 2 years ago.

Here's what I would like to do:
Automatically turn on GPS when I run apps like Navigation, Foursquare, etc.
Automatically checkin on foursquare when I am at a couple different places
Automatically set my phone to silent according to my google calendar

Any pointers?

Turn GPS on: Make a new profile based on "application." That will give you a pop up menu of apps to choose from. Select all of the desired apps and hit okay. Then create a task to turn on GPS. Then make an exit task to turn GPS off when you exit the app.

Not sure about check ins...probably can be done but it's beyond me

Phone silent: Make a new profile based on "state." Then select "Calendar Entry." Go to the section labeled "Available" and change from "Any" to "No." Therefore, any calendar event where you've listed yourself as unavailable will trigger the task. Then obviously make a task that turns off your ringer/notification/etc volumes as desired.