task manager / Clean ram

krnmc

Reaction score
Hi i just got this phone today and i had winmo before, and we had applications where we can clean ram or have task manager.

i was wondering if we have that on the eris as well?

NewDroidOrder

Reaction score
Well check it out, there are pros and cons when it comes to task killers. There has been a thread already discussing this topic. Pretty much what you are going to hear from most of the developers and all of the other people on this forum, as well as just about any other, task killers are "bad". The reason for this is because it ends these processes instantly and can mess things up. Sure it may save you some battery at first, but it also can cost you battery. What I have come to do is, I have a few apps on my phone that I use to monitor my systems resources. These apps use RAM, but not much so I value them greatly.

I personally used to use task killers when I noticed that my phone had very low RAM, or was noticably slow. so I would select some apps to kill off; which I deemed ok to kill. Problem solved for that moment I guess.

But now that I am a root user (You are going to hear a lot about being root on this site lol as well as all others. Its a way of life for most of us on here) I have found an app called 'Autokiller', and what this app does is, it modifies the phones normal way it deals with killing apps and ending processes, the safe way. So by using this app I can designate how much RAM I want it to try to manage and keep free. The safe way. Using task killers are pretty much like cutting a chickens head off, its just wrong and not done right.(best I could think of)

Well im sure I left something out somewhere, so I'm sure someone will jump in on this one and throw down some more info that I'm sure that I left out.

Hope this helped a bit

OP
krnmc

krnmc

Reaction score
oh okayy i have another question (sorry,this is my first time w android phones..=/) My other question is that when you push the home button while your on a program/app does it exit out of the app completely?

c0pE89

Reaction score
no it dose not thats the big thing with android and task killers some apps will time out and android will close them after awhile and some will stay running in the background it depends on the app but thats the debate with taskkillers being good for your phone or not its like pulling the power on your pc without shouting it down the right way it could over time its bad for the os but thats the good thing about root you and get a fresh start whenever you want

OP
krnmc

krnmc

Reaction score
awww ic ic... Thanks never thought about that wayy (pluggin ur power on computer) thats koo ha im still trying to get used to the whole android thing its somewhat confusing since i have no idea how to use it ha

I really appreciated =]

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
2.1 has been very good at dealing with resources. I deleted ATK and haven't looked back!

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
the android os does very well at deciding which apps to kill and when to kill them. Task killers aren't really not needed on android

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
the android os does very well at deciding which apps to kill and when to kill them. Task killers aren't really not needed on android

+1
I was using task killers when I first got my droid because their function sounded charming. I ended up having to micro manage theme to trying and get theme to do what I wanted. Once I uninstalled them I noticed they were my battery drainers after all lol... never gone back

OP
krnmc

krnmc

Reaction score
hm... okayy ha i already did another post on this but sometimes my keypad and calling/receiving just stops working... and i tried task killing but the problem wouldnt get fixxed untill i reboot...=.= any solution that you guys know?