Task killers

codyweis

Reaction score
I have always used something such as advanced task killer but have also heardthat task killers are not good? Any opinions on task killers or on Why I heard that? Thanks

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
Useless
Alot of people on here will say the same. android system is fine with memory management plus you can always just stop apps if you want to.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

jonathon1289

Reaction score
I do have a task killer installed (but not actively running, I used it on Froyo to manually kill stuff) but on GingerBread especially I find that I rarely ever have to use it. For the most part, it is just as easy to open Applications and look at what is actively running/cached and kill from there.

broken42

Reaction score
There are a couple of really good articles on why killing applications to "free memory" is a very bad thing.
Revisiting Android Task Killers and Why You Still Don’t Need One… - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them
Android PSA: Stop Using Task Killer Apps
Pretty much long story short, ever since Froyo Android has gotten much MUCH better in memory management. What Android does is it will keep your applications in memory to speed up use and loading times or to quote the droid-life article,
…What people don’t seem to realize is that android is designed to have a large number of tasks stored in memory at all times. Why? Well basically we are talking about a mobile device. On a mobile device things tend to be slower. The hardware isn’t as robust as say a desktop or a laptop, so in order to get that same “snappy” feeling, there have to be workarounds.
One of these is how android deals with memory. Android will load up your apps and then keep them running until they absolutely HAVE to kill them. This is because that way, if you want to re-open an app, the system already has it loaded and can then just resume it instead of reloading it. This provides a significant performance increase.
Now if you want something to monitor your apps, personally I'd suggest Watchdog. Instead of monitoring memory usage, which is irrelevant and useless information, it monitors CPU usage then warns the user when the program hits a predefined threshold of background CPU usage.

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
Not to sound like an ass or come off rude but personally killing apps helped me more then leaving everything going. Especially when I took the OTA gb from verizon. Everyone can say oh it's only a few seconds lag blah blah blah but why not just do without if say you kill your maps app when your not even running it the majority of the time or other things like that. I'm not trying to say it doesn't manage it well but I feel my phone does better when I use to. But now I don't have to so it doesn't matter to me

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums