taking magnet OUT of multimedia dock

turdbogls

Reaction score
OK so here is my situation, i have 2 docks, one at home which i would like to keep the magnet in, and one at work which i would love to take the magnet out of since it seems to really mess with the phone when i have pandora or some other app running, and i just hate hitting the home button just to go back to the home screen to hit the pandora button again (not a big deal to do it once, but i take my phone out of the dock about 10 times through out the work day. i would like it to just switch orientation and keep the app open.

so is there any way to get that magnet out of the back besides cutting it out like i have seen before. i did a google search with no luck.

OP
T

turdbogls

Reaction score
so is there any way to get that magnet out of the back besides cutting it out like i have seen before.
Not unless you can teleport it out. :D

haha...i took the rubber feet off the bottom and noticed some small torx screws under there. i am guessing i can frankenstien it out of there somehow after getting those torx screws out. when i get some time i may have to do it.

Sal R.

Reaction score
haha...i took the rubber feet off the bottom and noticed some small torx screws under there. i am guessing i can frankenstien it out of there somehow after getting those torx screws out. when i get some time i may have to do it.

The magnet itself is on the support backing and the backing is "molded" w/ the upper half of the craddle. That part doesn't disassemble. You'll need a dremel or some type of rotary tool to expose the magnet from the backside and then "pry" it out.

jgumphress

Reaction score
The tab sticking up in the Multimedia Dock has the magnet in it. This tab just plugs into the dock unit. I grabbed mine with a pair of pliers thinking it was glued but it just snaps out. You can just snap it back in if you ever decide to put it back in.

OP
T

turdbogls

Reaction score
The tab sticking up in the Multimedia Dock has the magnet in it. This tab just plugs into the dock unit. I grabbed mine with a pair of pliers thinking it was glued but it just snaps out. You can just snap it back in if you ever decide to put it back in.

wow....4 months later...lol

thanks for the reply, however i now have a DX and actually just did surgery on my X's Dock to remove the magnet :)

jgumphress

Reaction score
I knew it had been a long time but thought some one else might want to know as well. I just now had a need to remove my magnet and did a search on the forum. This was the only hit that I got, so I decided to just go for it and cut out the magnet when I realized how easy it was I thought I would post it. I have a few more months to go on my contract but probably won't go with another Moto but will likely stay with Android. Definately NOT iPhone though.

lovewow

Reaction score
That part doesn't disassemble. You'll need a dremel or some type of rotary tool to expose the magnet from the backside and then "pry" it out.