"Reversible" Multimedia Station

jaja714

Reaction score
I will try to make a video of this soon but the process is so simple, I thought I'd just post it first.

I love the droid Multimedia Station at home because it turns my droid into an alarm clock when I dock my droid on my nightstand. The magnet inside the dock is what triggers the droid to change its display.

Unfortunately, there is no "dock" for the car. They make a mount with a magnet which puts the car in nav-mode but the mount does not have a built-in charger.

With some experiments with a refrigerator magnet, I found out that it's not the placement of the magnet which triggers droid's mood, it's the polarity. Just hold a magnet half-way between the M-logo and the right edge of the bat-cover and the droid will go into nav mode or dock mode. Whatever it is, just flip the magnet over and the mode will flip as well.

So, if I wanted to modify the droid multimedia station so that I could use it in my car in nav mode ... all I needed to do was flip the magnet.

To do this, the only tools needed are (1) a small eyeglasses screwdriver and (2) a sharpie.

(a) On the dock itself, there is 1-inch T-shaped piece of plastic sticking straight up which serves as the backdrop for your docked droid. On the back of this "T", is a grey sticky cover. Simply slide the small eyeglass screwdriver along the top edge of this sticky to peel it off. Set this aside as you'll need it later.

(b) Under the sticky, you'll see a small round magnet in the upper right corner. Take your sharpie and put a dot on the magnet to mark it as the "negative" side.

(c) Next, slide the small eyeglass screwdriver under the top-right portion of this magnet to pry it out slowly ... don't let it fall on the floor cause it can roll away and get lost.

(d) Now that the magnet is out, simply put it back in with the marked dot side down.

(e) Finally, reapply the grey sticky cover and you're all set.

cuskit

Reaction score
I will try to make a video of this soon but the process is so simple, I thought I'd just post it first.

I love the droid Multimedia Station at home because it turns my droid into an alarm clock when I dock my droid on my nightstand. The magnet inside the dock is what triggers the droid to change its display.

Unfortunately, there is no "dock" for the car. They make a mount with a magnet which puts the car in nav-mode but the mount does not have a built-in charger.

With some experiments with a refrigerator magnet, I found out that it's not the placement of the magnet which triggers droid's mood, it's the polarity. Just hold a magnet half-way between the M-logo and the right edge of the bat-cover and the droid will go into nav mode or dock mode. Whatever it is, just flip the magnet over and the mode will flip as well.

So, if I wanted to modify the droid multimedia station so that I could use it in my car in nav mode ... all I needed to do was flip the magnet.

To do this, the only tools needed are (1) a small eyeglasses screwdriver and (2) a sharpie.

(a) On the dock itself, there is 1-inch T-shaped piece of plastic sticking straight up which serves as the backdrop for your docked droid. On the back of this "T", is a grey sticky cover. Simply slide the small eyeglass screwdriver along the top edge of this sticky to peel it off. Set this aside as you'll need it later.

(b) Under the sticky, you'll see a small round magnet in the upper right corner. Take your sharpie and put a dot on the magnet to mark it as the "negative" side.

(c) Next, slide the small eyeglass screwdriver under the top-right portion of this magnet to pry it out slowly ... don't let it fall on the floor cause it can roll away and get lost.

(d) Now that the magnet is out, simply put it back in with the marked dot side down.

(e) Finally, reapply the grey sticky cover and you're all set.
It would be SOOOO much easier to just turn on Car Home...;)

Magnet polarity has been discussed at great lengths on numerous occasions here. A search can show you all the discussions. :) mike

Last edited:
OP
J

jaja714

Reaction score
I'm not sure you read my post completely or carefully.

I know what dockrunner is and is is a simple app that displays the "alarm"/bedside" screen even though the droid is not in a dock or near a magnet.

I'm talking about having the droid automatically choose which "mode" to display (nav or alarm/bedside) when it is set in the multimedia station.

The "alarm/bedside" dock is always displayed because the multimedia station has the magnet installed in a "positive" position. To get the multimedia station to do the opposite, you have to peel off the grey sticky and flip the magnet.

Once the magnet is flipped, that particular multimedia station will now automatically display the nav mode screen ("Car Home").

OP
J

jaja714

Reaction score
Ah ... I see you edited your post to also tell me about "Car Home" which I already know about. There is one word that appears a few times in my posts that I probably should've bolded:

AUTOMATIC

cuskit

Reaction score
Ah ... I see you edited your post to also tell me about "Car Home" which I already know about. There is one word that appears a few times in my posts that I probably should've bolded:

AUTOMATIC
Slow down there pardner! :)

If you do some research here - you will see I know a "little" bit about the magnet and it's purpose - I manufacture the MIKRADLE, which has this designed into it. And I've probably taught many beginners here the purpose, size and location of the magnet, including the polarity differences. Like I said - multimedia vs car mode/magnet polarity has been discussed numerous times, over and over here on these forums.

What I'm failing to understand is what you are attempting to do. Put your multimedia station into your car? And leave the magnet set for the car mode? If this is your purpose (not clearly stated), then fine, but for what installation? It is a free standing model, not meant to be installed in a car. Are you fabricating some type of securing device for your dash, window, etc.?

And next is power. The multimedia station comes with an AC charger, not a car (DC) charger. Or are you utilizing a cigarette lighter charger that you can plug the MicroUSB cable into? Not sure of your power setup - I did read your post in it's entirety, but I'm missing something here. I apologize for the confusion... mike

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not from Motorola but there is one from ProClip.

cuskit

Reaction score
Not from Motorola but there is one from ProClip.
Thanks for that - do you have a link? I've looked over their site, but it seems they all utilize a cable - no true docking holder. I'm sure there is one if you say so - but I'm just having a difficult time finding it (for the Droid) :) mike

Last edited:

JimmyD

Reaction score
What about the Seidio multimedia car dock?

Exactly what I was just about to post. It sounds like the original poster is simply trying to reinvent this wheel....

50067671.jpg

jaja714....

Don't let this thread get you down though! Welcome to DroidForums.net and THANKS for posting up your experience with your dock experiments!

Like Mike mentioned above, you'll find that there's many threads to be found in these forums with a lot of great information!

Cheers!

cuskit

Reaction score
jaja714....
Like Mike mentioned above, you'll find that there's many threads to be found in these forums with a lot of great information!

Cheers![/quote]

jaja714 and Bohemian,

Thanks for the tip and link, but I don't believe the Seidio has the magnet for auto car mode which is what the OP is looking for. Besides that - there's a thread going that has terrible reviews on this car dock - see here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-accessories/25514-seidio-innotraveler-car-dock-3.html

But, good or bad - it's not relevant as the OP is looking for automatic car mode with true docking..

And yes - I found this info right here on these forums! Thanks - jaja714! :) mike

Last edited:

Bohemian

Reaction score
Yes the Seidio has the magnet in it for car use. My first one had a connector problem and they set out a replacement immediately for free, works great for me.

tehpriest

Reaction score
That is one ugly looking car dock. I would rather have the home dock properly incorporated myself if not then the stock car dock is much nicer on the eye.

:motdroidhoriz:

sarreq

Reaction score
What I'm failing to understand is what you are attempting to do. Put your multimedia station into your car? And leave the magnet set for the car mode? If this is your purpose (not clearly stated), then fine, but for what installation? It is a free standing model, not meant to be installed in a car. Are you fabricating some type of securing device for your dash, window, etc.?
ah, but my friend, zees eez vaht VELCRO eez for…
:icon_ goofy: