Tablet Version of Microsoft Office Coming to Android Before Windows 8 Tablets

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
appscrossdevices.png

Whodathunkit? The tablet version of Microsoft Office which recently released for iOS will be coming to other tablets very soon. The big shocker is that it will actually hit Android tablets before it comes to Windows 8 tablets. Don't worry... we scratched our heads over this one too. According to the new Microsoft CEO, Satya Nadella, the main reason it will come to Android first is marketshare. As you can see from his Tweet above, under his leadership, Microsoft has renewed its focus on making its Office software as widely available across multiple devices as possible.

Currently, the plan is to make the Android version of the touch-first version of Word, Excel and Powerpoint available before the end of 2014. According to the latest scuttlebutt, the The Metro-Style Windows version of the bundle is now looking more like spring 2015 launch. There's even more to this than just these tidbits though. Here's a quote with a few more juicy details,

The other date in play here is when Microsoft plans to deliver the Metro-Style Gemini/WinRT versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint. My sources say the new plan is to make these commercially available in the spring of 2015. (I'm not clear if a preview/beta version of these Gemini apps will be out before year end.)

That spring 2015 date also is when Threshold, a ka "Windows 9" is expected to hit. The timing isn't likely coincidental, given Microsoft is believed to be building at least one Threshold SKU that won't include a desktop. Such a SKU would require a version of Windows that doesn't need the desktop/Win32 environment to run. That's when the Metro-Style/Windows Store versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint become a necessity, not just a nicety.

What do you think of Microsoft's decision on this matter? Are they finally getting back to being serious about their products again? Do you like the direction that the new CEO is taking the company?

Source: ZDNET

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Market share is everything about time fir Apple to make an iTunes app for Android.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
And this is a great example of why mobile devices - especially tablets - need more than 2 gigs of ram. If the OS and everything else takes up [at least] every bit of 1 gig, you really need at least 2 more gigs of ram to fully utilize Powerpoint and Excel.

Although I'm convinced the main reason for the trickle of ram/storage increases is forced obsolescence. They could easily capture that increased cost, but they'd prefer you have to buy another device in a year or two.

nickb34

Reaction score
Not really that much of a surprise... If you have a WIN8 tablet then you can run full blown Office.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not really that much of a surprise... If you have a WIN8 tablet then you can run full blown Office.

But that's why I have a laptop :)

IMO, to use tablets efficiently you need basic inputs automated...and that's why you need good apps. Also why I love widgets because they eliminate steps, even if just a few, to view information/content you want.

That doesn't mean, however, that I don't want laptop/keyboard functionality for some tasks

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Windows RT Surface tablet comes with Office 2013 preinstalled, in fact, any RT device comes with Office already installed:
Office 2013 RT FAQs

You can install full office on a Windows 8 device, 2010 or 2013. So, as far as Office coming to Android before Windows 8 tablets is not entirely correct.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
But that's why I have a laptop :)

And that's why I have a Windows Tablet with full blown Office 2013 that was less then $400 and is a really fun tablet + a nice laptop when I need it.
WIN

I saw this article somewhere else, too. Totally a NON Article....

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Does anyone know/think if this app will have drawing support for those of us who use a stylus? I would love to have a really good office program for my Note 10.1 where I can take notes but also draw little diagrams when needed in class. Polaris randomly corrupts my files and the drawing support is pretty ugly

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
My Asus T100 came with a full copy of Win 8.1(not the RT crap) and full Office. And MS released Office for Android weeks ago, I installed it like a month or two ago on my phone. just needed my Product code from my tablet, done.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
THat's the tablet I have, too Squire. Surprised how much I like it. Still prefer my Android but the T100 is NOICE. ;)

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
THat's the tablet I have, too Squire. Surprised how much I like it. Still prefer my Android but the T100 is NOICE. ;)

I loved my N7, but the Asus is just so much more useful. I can run true Windows apps and Office on it, it even plays Crysis at ok settings. I like the SD expansion and the included keyboard, and with HDMI and USB3.0 ports, I can plug the damned thing into a Triumph or Ducati, or any bike's Power Commander or Bazzaz fueling unit and start flashing ECU's, dyno tuning, etc...

Really is a versatile device for less than 400 bux and you can take it almost anywhere...

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Haven't tried any *real* games on her yet.
I even like the News app in the Metro UI. Really impressed with that one. It's my go to News Reader now. Not Flipboard much anymore. ;)
I like flipping between tasks too with the left side slide. Far and away my favorite way to switch apps of any OS.