Tabeo Android Tablet for Kids Announced by Toys R' Us

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
tabeo_all_sides-view.jpeg

Toys R' Us just announced a new Android Tablet for kids called the Tabeo. The tablet will go on sale at the retailer on October 21st for $149.99. Here's a breakdown of specs:
  • 7-inch screen
  • Custom version of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
  • 4GB of internal storage
  • A microSD slot
  • Front and rear cameras
  • Wi-Fi and HDMI connectivity
  • Battery life that promises up to 7 hours of video or 10 hours of normal use.
  • 1GHz ARM Cortex A8 processor
  • 1GB of RAM
The tablet is specifically designed to cater to kids, and has software tweaks geared toward that goal. Here's a quote with additional details,

It's designed for kids to navigate easily, and parents to feel comfortable managing. Toys"R"Us includes security levels for up to eight users, so parents can set app and web browsing privileges according to the age appropriateness of multiple children. The software blocks websites based on 27 categories, and parents can add or remove sites to or from the list remotely. A tabeo can also limit when or how long a child accesses the internet.

The tabeo comes preloaded with nearly 20 popular games, including Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope, and Temple Run. It also has apps designed for photography, cooking, and other activities. The iStorybooks app enables reading, and learning apps from Discovery Kids and other sources help educate users. Parents can acquire more apps by visiting the tabeo App Store, a filtered store with apps that Toys"R"Us pre-approves.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via MobileBurn and ToysRUs - Tabeo

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
am i the only person who finds this just plain stupid?

Why do you find it stupid?? The earlier people are introduced to technology the easier they will be able to use and understand it as they grow up. I let my daughter use my Touchpad all the time and am considering getting her her own tablet soon. We limit her time on it just like TV, but she is quite adept at navigating the apps and can find what she's looking for without help and she's only 5. With how technology will be incorporated into daily life in the near future I don't see a problem with these type devices giving kids a jump on using tech every day.

Sent from the "Angry 6er" via Tapatalk

acousticshade

Reaction score
Wonder if this thing is bulletproof also. Would be nice since kids tend to drop things a lot more.

If this thing is pretty tough, I think its a great idea for the 5-8 yr old crowd.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
am i the only person who finds this just plain stupid?

do you have kids? I let my kids use my xoom all the time and thankfully I have tons of kid friendly games from the amazon appstore free app of the day. But something like this geared towards children with parental controls and limits on internet use as well as basically allowing 8 users for 149... and almost 20 free games... awesome... hopefully there won't be a problem sideloading some other apps as I'm sure stupid zombies isn't approved and my kids love that game.

Why do you find it stupid?? The earlier people are introduced to technology the easier they will be able to use and understand it as they grow up. I let my daughter use my Touchpad all the time and am considering getting her her own tablet soon. We limit her time on it just like TV, but she is quite adept at navigating the apps and can find what she's looking for without help and she's only 5. With how technology will be incorporated into daily life in the near future I don't see a problem with these type devices giving kids a jump on using tech every day.

Sent from the "Angry 6er" via Tapatalk

exactly... my middle daughter just turned 5 and she is crazy adept at using the xoom.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We reported this story, but in all honesty, our editors think that you can do better. Really, if you compare the specs, then the Nabi 2 would be a better choice for kids. You can get them at WalMart, Best Buy and Amazon. It's 50 bucks more, but you get a much more robust tablet for you money, and is just as versatile and secure for kids.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
We reported this story, but in all honesty, our editors think that you can do better. Really, if you compare the specs, then the Nabi 2 would be a better choice for kids. You can get them at WalMart, Best Buy and Amazon. It's 50 bucks more, but you get a much more robust tablet for you money, and is just as versatile and secure for kids.

Maybe DF should have a subsection for 'kids" android device and help for us parents? :D to help recommend apps,root, unroot, issues, upcoming devices, quality etc...we are not all 18 yrs. :p just a thought.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

Does the nabi come with the free apps this does

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

tuffD1

Reaction score
Nabi 2 comes with LOTS of free basic/demo apps that are similar to the Tabeo. My 3 and 5 year old know how to power on/off/navigate thru the different apps/camera features, but are entertained enough with temple run and netflix. Saves me $$$ on upgrading the apps to full version. Also, no root available that I know of. There are some Nabi home techs that are trying( I guess)? I have tried installing the apk for google play, but unsuccessful. Google play home screen image boots up, but then force closes. New accessories coming out in a week or so.

Last edited:

wcjeep

Reaction score
My 7yr old uses my Xoom or her Droid X. She gets airplane mode only. Wonder how good the parental controls work.