T-Mobile Announces 'JUMP on Demand,' Customers Can Upgrade 3X Per Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Warning! The video above includes some of the PG-13 language that John Legere is famous for.

T-Mobile's Amped event occurred this morning. They announced their latest Uncarrier initiative called "JUMP on Demand." This new program is basically an enhanced version of their JUMP program, which now lets customers switch out their phones up to 3 times a year.

Here's a quote from their press release with the details,

"Here’s how JUMP! On Demand works: Get a new smartphone for zero out of pocket with qualifying credit, and zero sales tax due today, followed by one low monthly payment that includes the cost of that new smartphone and, for free, the ultimate freedom to upgrade whenever you want. When you want a new smartphone, just swap your old phone for a new one. That’s it.

Customers with JUMP! On Demand can upgrade anytime − tomorrow, next week or next month − up to three times a year. Simply bring in the last phone you got with JUMP! On Demand for a quick three-point check-up to ensure it’s in good working order and swap it out for a new smartphone. Which means you could get six brand new phones during the time it’d take to get one upgrade at Verizon.

When you get a smartphone with JUMP! On Demand, your monthly payment is about the same as it would be with regular financing, and there’s no extra $10 monthly program fee. T-Mobile’s most popular smartphones are available with JUMP! On Demand. See the full list of available smartphones at JUMP On Demand. Upgrade Whenever You Want. in the FAQs.

Existing JUMP! customers can get a new smartphone with JUMP! On Demand the next time they upgrade, and won’t have to pay that extra $10 per month because the ability to upgrade whenever you want is now included in your monthly phone payment. And, if you still want device insurance (Premium Handset Protection), it only costs $8 per month.
"

At first, only a few phones will be illegible for the JUMP On Demand program when launches June 28th: iPhone 6, iPhone 6Plus, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge, Galaxy Note 4, LG G4. More phones are expected to be added to the program as they are launched in the future.

As you can see, T-Mobile continues to push the envelope on offering extra value to their customers. What will the other carriers do to respond this time? It's getting fun watching T-Mobile make the whole US smartphone industry dance to their tune.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
They just continue to do great things for their customers. I hope they don't drive themselves into the ground.

This is another example of them providing a better option than anyone else is offering.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Love the idea. Hate T-Mobile's coverage.

I'm fortunate to have good TMobile coverage where I live. Data is poor inside my house but calling is just fine. Most of where I live has strong LTE even in doors but I'm on the outskirts so data is weaker. However, my area is going to get the 700mHz TMobile signal in the future so that will help a ton.

I will be looking into this new JUMP program. I'm on the original program, 6 months = no phone and no pay off of 1/2 of my existing phone. Need to read some fine print now.

Looks like I have to wait out my 6 months to be able to switch to Jump on Demand. I think i'm a month or two away anyways. Plus it looks like a small fee will be applied to the device financing with the "about the same low cost per month". Probably a few bucks more a month but less than the $10 a month for JUMP now. I'm up for it. Honestly I love getting new phones and if sales tax is no longer charged, sign me up.

It feels like you never actually own the device anymore. Instead you are literally leasing it and have to return it even if you keep it for two years and pay off the full amount price. Its still their phone. I may be wrong but I'll see in store when I use it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's kinda what I'm wondering about. If you're leasing a device for a certain amount of time and can upgrade whenever you want (3 times in a year), are you getting a Brand New, in the box device each time you upgrade, or are they going to cycle the returned leased devices?

I would think they'd either have to do that or sell them to the insurance companies or elsewhere to be used as refurb replacements.

Honestly, if T-mo had good coverage in my area, I'd get in on Google fi's network for sure, even though I've said a million times on here that I miss my old T-mo service.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I tend to stay away from companies that are continuously desperate for my business. Another red flag is when a company's main goal is to constantly discredit the competition, in order to build themselves up.
Aside from his desperation and total lack of coverage in my area, I don't need a new device every 4 months.
Keep trying John. If he worked as hard at building a better network, than he does talking smack about AT&T & Verizon, his company might actually grow.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
They don't have the money that the other two carriers have to block smaller companies from acquiring more spectrum/growing their network.

In smaller countries their service is seamless. That's a lot of cash to dish out for USA coverage. They are getting there though. I have no issues so far with their service.

For people like myself that want the latest and greatest this is one hell of a deal. If I don't like a phone I just have to wait 4 months to move on. This means I can also branch out to phones I have always wanted to try, but didn't want to get stuck with (LG, HTC, etc) if I didn't like the user experience.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Agreed. I can't say that I'd actually upgrade every 4 months, but I definitely wouldn't mind having the option to do so if the cost wasn't much different than be saddled with the same device for longer and discovering too late that I would've preferred a different one.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Agreed. I can't say that I'd actually upgrade every 4 months, but I definitely wouldn't mind having the option to do so if the cost wasn't much different than be saddled with the same device for longer and discovering too late that I would've preferred a different one.

That's how I feel. I have been using Samsung devices for so long that I'm not sure I would actually like other OEM's devices. A year is a long time to be stuck regretting that decision. 4 months would be no problem.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
If T-Mobile had the coverage to match Verizon's there'd be a mass exodus from the carriers to T-Mobile. Doesn't get any better than this. They have everything but the single most important thing.........coverage. Sort of like building an exotic sports car for 15K and the only way to power it is to use your feet ala the Flintstones

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If T-Mobile had the coverage to match Verizon's there'd be a mass exodus from the carriers to T-Mobile. Doesn't get any better than this. They have everything but the single most important thing.........coverage. Sort of like building an exotic sports car for 15K and the only way to power it is to use your feet ala the Flintstones

Or...you live in the wrong place. :p