Sync with outlook?

stephen.g.fiddes

Reaction score
My parents and grandfather are wanting to get droids, but need it to sync directly with outlook for contacts and calendar. (not export to CSV then to google). Is there a way to do this?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use the corporate Email app with Exchange. My contacts and calendar work well. The only issue -- accepting meetings.

Hope that helps.

Mike

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is the stock email app and should already be on your phone. Look at the screen shot I attached. It is the second from the left between SetCPU and K9

Mike

Attachments

• CAP2010061422312.jpg
    CAP2010061422312.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 463
OP
S

stephen.g.fiddes

Reaction score
Wow. Now I feel stupid. lol... is exchange another app on the phone, or is that MS exchange?

Wadzii

Reaction score
I use google sync for outlook, my work wont let me sync email and contacts but it works fine for my calendar, sync's it with the google calendar.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
My parents and grandfather are wanting to get droids, but need it to sync directly with outlook for contacts and calendar. (not export to CSV then to google). Is there a way to do this?

I use gSyncIt - which is a software that I purchased and it syncs both ways (google to outlook and outlook to google) - so regardless of where I make changes, it updates to my phone and laptop. There has been several threads on this as well - I know there are other programs / software out there so you do not have to complete the .CSV files as well. Good Luck!!

nateccnn

Reaction score
Bear in mind...as you read through all the various threads and workarounds...Android was not designed to sync to outlook...period.

Outlook is a client that allows you to send and retrieve emails and calendars from and to a server. Be it an exchange server or some other SMTP/POP3, IMAP or whatever protocol is used by that server.

Droid comes with Corporate Mail which is a client that allows you to send and retrieve emails and calendars from and to a server...be it exchange or gmail or some other server software ...

There should be a server between your desktop and the droid for it to work the way it was designed. Client to Client sync is not supported on the Droid.

That's not to say that there is not an app on the market that does this type of sync for you. And Droid does have the ability to set up an account based on SMTP/POP3. But as far as syncing...you won't get a sync setup that is as clean as the cloud system that Droid was designed around. One server where multiple clients can connect and share the same database. Everything stored on the server so each client sees the same database.

Nate

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use the corporate Email app with Exchange. My contacts and calendar work well. The only issue -- accepting meetings.
It's a common mistake but Outlook != Exchange. Outlook is the client. Exchange is the server. Outlook is not always used with Exchange.

For sync directly with Outlook, you'll need to find a solution such as CompanionLink. There are several threads on this topic that I recommend referring to but I don't have links handy (I'd have to search, same as you). The other threads do have other solutions suggested.

Wadzii

Reaction score
the security at my work wont allow my phone to sync with the exchange server, the only way for me to do it is directly on my PC with outlook.

nateccnn

Reaction score
the security at my work wont allow my phone to sync with the exchange server, the only way for me to do it is directly on my PC with outlook.

What you mean is your corporate IT guys don't know how to set up secure connections between your Droid and their exchange server. There's a big difference...right? Does your corporate security allow you to conn ect an external PC or laptop to Exchange via OWA or POP3/SMTP? Or are they totally paranoid about any external link?

Nate

Wadzii

Reaction score
No, i work at Cisco.. i'm pretty sure they know what they are doing.

Everything has to happen via VPN.