Swype doesn't work in Android 2.1

EbE404

Reaction score
For my part, I just did the update, and Swype simply would not work. I'm very familiar with the bug mentioned and switching the input method to get it to fire up again, but this time, despite repeated attempts, reboots, etc. it simply would not go and I had to completely reinstall.

The good news is that this is only the second install I have made, and it is working fine after that, but I do agree with the comments to not uninstall/reinstall unless absolutely necessary (which, in my case, it seemed to be).

I have this exact issue, it is not just the known bug:
Did you completly un-insatll the app and the installer and download all new?
How many installs does the Beta let you do?

Thanks for any answers, Man will I hate losing SWYPE...

Yes, I had to completely uninstall and reinstall, and I had lost the e-mail they had sent me, so...

1. Go to the Swype website and log into the beta site (it's closed now, so if you were not already signed up, I'm afraid you won't be able to get in. @jramey-it sounds like you were already part of the beta, so you will just need to login to My Swype.)
2. There is a link there to resend the beta e-mail, click that if you need to to get the link onto your Droid.
3. Uninstall Swype application (you don't need to worry about the installer)
4. Click the link in the Swype e-mail to download the new installer (you might be able to run the installer already on the Droid, I wanted to start completely clean, so I didn't try that).
5. The installer will prompt you for your username and password, so enter that information and login.
6. Swype will reinstall, and essentially, you set it up again.

It would not surprise me that this process will wipe out your dictionary, but it will get Swype running again. Also, be aware that the previously mentioned bug that results in having to switch input methods after a reboot is still existing here, but I have had no problems switching to the Android keyboard then back to Swype, and it works just fine.

Now, regarding how many downloads and installations you are allowed under the beta, I honestly don't know. Perhaps somebody else can jump in with that information.

jramey

Reaction score
For my part, I just did the update, and Swype simply would not work. I'm very familiar with the bug mentioned and switching the input method to get it to fire up again, but this time, despite repeated attempts, reboots, etc. it simply would not go and I had to completely reinstall.

The good news is that this is only the second install I have made, and it is working fine after that, but I do agree with the comments to not uninstall/reinstall unless absolutely necessary (which, in my case, it seemed to be).

I have this exact issue, it is not just the known bug:
Did you completly un-insatll the app and the installer and download all new?
How many installs does the Beta let you do?

Thanks for any answers, Man will I hate losing SWYPE...

Yes, I had to completely uninstall and reinstall, and I had lost the e-mail they had sent me, so...

1. Go to the Swype website and log into the beta site (it's closed now, so if you were not already signed up, I'm afraid you won't be able to get in. @jramey-it sounds like you were already part of the beta, so you will just need to login to My Swype.)
2. There is a link there to resend the beta e-mail, click that if you need to to get the link onto your Droid.
3. Uninstall Swype application (you don't need to worry about the installer)
4. Click the link in the Swype e-mail to download the new installer (you might be able to run the installer already on the Droid, I wanted to start completely clean, so I didn't try that).
5. The installer will prompt you for your username and password, so enter that information and login.
6. Swype will reinstall, and essentially, you set it up again.

It would not surprise me that this process will wipe out your dictionary, but it will get Swype running again. Also, be aware that the previously mentioned bug that results in having to switch input methods after a reboot is still existing here, but I have had no problems switching to the Android keyboard then back to Swype, and it works just fine.

Now, regarding how many downloads and installations you are allowed under the beta, I honestly don't know. Perhaps somebody else can jump in with that information.

I have already got the resent email and plan on a fully clean install myself.
Thanks for the information...

Sherry

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to still have the SWYPE installer on mine. I deleted SYWPE and hit the installer, went right to the site, logged in and I am back up and running. Y

bigtmonee

Reaction score
Hey, I'm having trouble with getting swype to work on 2.1... I have tried to change input method trick and reinstalling, but I keep getting the error message, "The swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality. Please contact swype about this issue."

Any help??

EbE404

Reaction score
Hmm, best I can tell you is that I had to reinstall completely. After that, I rebooted then had to do the "Change Input Method" trick and it's been fine for me ever since.

uflraptor

Reaction score
Hmm, best I can tell you is that I had to reinstall completely. After that, I rebooted then had to do the "Change Input Method" trick and it's been fine for me ever since.

i had to follow these same steps to get my Swype to work again. I love Swype.

Swype working is more important to me than any of the 2.1 features.

EbE404

Reaction score

i had to follow these same steps to get my Swype to work again. I love Swype.

Swype working is more important to me than any of the 2.1 features.

I totally agree. Live wallpaper doesn't help me be more productive or improve data entry ergonomics, but Swype certainly does!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm having trouble with getting swype to work on 2.1... I have tried to change input method trick and reinstalling, but I keep getting the error message, "The swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality. Please contact swype about this issue."

Any help??

Assuming you're using the current 5652 true beta version and not the 5612 "pirated" version, do the following:

() Before doing anything else, go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Menu>All applications. (The installer app won't show up unless you do this.)

() Find the TWO swype files, i.e. both the swype keyboard AND the installer app. UNINSTALL BOTH.

() Then try reinstalling Swype. If you don't uninstall the installer, the two files can be mismatched, resulting in the condition you describe.

If this still doesn't work, use Astro or another SD card explorer and search for any file anywhere (including the root directory) with the word "swype" in the name. Delete any you find and try reinstalling.

MontyMo

Reaction score
In:
Settings>Applications>Language & Keyboard Settings
Make sure Android Keyboard is de-selected
and Swipe is selected

KCOTT

Reaction score
nvm...found this updated version, but now having the issue everyone else in here is having, back to reading

**okay, now it says the swype package i downloaded doesn't match the screen size of the device...i assume i downloaded the wrong one?

Last edited:

EbE404

Reaction score
nvm...found this updated version, but now having the issue everyone else in here is having, back to reading

**okay, now it says the swype package i downloaded doesn't match the screen size of the device...i assume i downloaded the wrong one?

Sorry, can't help. I got mine through the (now closed) beta. I know there are some of these "leaked" packages floating around, but I'm not sure what the details on those are.

mordo

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed this in reading this thread but what I am missing with Swype in 2.1 is a microphone icon for voice-to-text input. Is it there or not in the latest version of Swype.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed this in reading this thread but what I am missing with Swype in 2.1 is a microphone icon for voice-to-text input. Is it there or not in the latest version of Swype.

No voice to text input in Swype at this time. Keep in mind that Swype is neither specific to the Android platform nor does it have features specifically designed for any particular release of the Android platform.