Swiftkey flow beta version - come get it!

armeddroid

Reaction score
It took me like 20 attempts to load the language pack. But up an running now. Its ok. Prediction is still good as the other Swiftkey models. To me, the only thing different with FLOW vs the regular version is just that, the swyping feature.
One issue i had after installation is that the keyboard will lock on the screen and wont retract back. I had to FC it to get it to reset itself.
That was real annoying but still going through it.

huskur

Reaction score
While the stock Samsung keyboard has the trace ability, the predictive text in SwiftKey is better. SwiftKey automatically replaces the word you are typing with the correct word, while the stock Samsung keyboard anticipates what word you want to type, but you have to actually click on the word to have it be used. While the Flow feature is nice, I doubt I will use it much. I can type the word out faster than tracing the word.

What I do love about the Samsung keyboard, though, is in the implementation on the Note II when you have the stylus out it automatically switches the keyboard to handwriting recognition, and the handwriting recognition works great. It even correctly interprets cursive text, and even if your handwriting is horrible.

I have noticed similar issues. I don't like the fact that the swiftkey keyboard doesn't have the number row like the Samsung keyboard has. That is a extremely nice feature not having to longpress to get numbers entered into text. At this point I am leaving Swiftkey installed hoping updated will rectify these issues. Until then I think I am going to use the Samsung keyboard.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something but I think it is not as good as Swype right now in the prediction area. It isn't giving me choices for input and is automatically inserting the 1 choice it does give. I've got it on my Nexus7 and am not really impressed so far. No punctuation as next choice either, my biggest desire for having it over Swype.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

jseah

Reaction score
It took me like 20 attempts to load the language pack. But up an running now. Its ok. Prediction is still good as the other Swiftkey models. To me, the only thing different with FLOW vs the regular version is just that, the swyping feature.
One issue i had after installation is that the keyboard will lock on the screen and wont retract back. I had to FC it to get it to reset itself.
That was real annoying but still going through it.

That is the great thing about having Flow from SwiftKey. You can use Flow, but if you don't you can still tap away on the keyboard just like the other SwiftKey keyboards and still get the same predictive text. Now if only they added pen/handwriting support like the Samsung keyboard has for the Note II, then it would be perfect.

jseah

Reaction score
I have noticed similar issues. I don't like the fact that the swiftkey keyboard doesn't have the number row like the Samsung keyboard has. That is a extremely nice feature not having to longpress to get numbers entered into text. At this point I am leaving Swiftkey installed hoping updated will rectify these issues. Until then I think I am going to use the Samsung keyboard.

When I first got the Note II, I preferred the Samsung keyboard to SwiftKey purely because of the extra number row. However, I did not like how the Samsung keyboard would predict text, but you then had to click on the word for it to be used. With SwiftKey, it would automatically use the predicted text. That to me is more of a time saver than having to click an extra key to switch to numbers and then back again.

huskur

Reaction score
While the stock Samsung keyboard has the trace ability, the predictive text in SwiftKey is better. SwiftKey automatically replaces the word you are typing with the correct word, while the stock Samsung keyboard anticipates what word you want to type, but you have to actually click on the word to have it be used. While the Flow feature is nice, I doubt I will use it much. I can type the word out faster than tracing the word.

What I do love about the Samsung keyboard, though, is in the implementation on the Note II when you have the stylus out it automatically switches the keyboard to handwriting recognition, and the handwriting recognition works great. It even correctly interprets cursive text, and even if your handwriting is horrible.

How do you get the handwriting recognition enabled for text? I have been searching all over........

jseah

Reaction score
How do you get the handwriting recognition enabled for text? I have been searching all over........

It was already enabled when I got my Note II. Under Settings<Language and Input, select the Samsung keyboard settings, and check the box for "Pen Detection". When you pull the pen out and you go to any field where the keyboard is active, the keyboard is replaced by a handwriting box. If you are in a keyboard field (where the standard typing keyboard is open), pulling the S-Pen out won't automatically switch from the keyboard to handwriting. You need to close the keyboard and then reopen it again.

huskur

Reaction score
It was already enabled when I got my Note II. Under Settings<Language and Input, select the Samsung keyboard settings, and check the box for "Pen Detection". When you pull the pen out and you go to any field where the keyboard is active, the keyboard is replaced by a handwriting box. If you are in a keyboard field (where the standard typing keyboard is open), pulling the S-Pen out won't automatically switch from the keyboard to handwriting. You need to close the keyboard and then reopen it again.

OK. I found it but now I am in handwriting mode and it will not switch back to the standard keyboard. Any insight??

tc1

Reaction score
I tried it in Gmail and the address field doesn't work, but the subject and email body fields do work with Flow. It also works in Google+.

Not flow.. I mean where you can input your credentials for Gmail, face book, etc in order for swift key to learn its predictions faster.

tc1

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something but I think it is not as good as Swype right now in the prediction area. It isn't giving me choices for input and is automatically inserting the 1 choice it does give. I've got it on my Nexus7 and am not really impressed so far. No punctuation as next choice either, my biggest desire for having it over Swype.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

Have you used swift key before?

Trust me it learns very quickly and in a short amount of time you can write entire sentences with just a few clicks

jseah

Reaction score
OK. I found it but now I am in handwriting mode and it will not switch back to the standard keyboard. Any insight??

Are you using it on the GS3 or GNote2? With the GNote2, I simply have to put the stylus back into the holder, close the keyboard and then open it back up again and it will have switched back to the typing keyboard.

jseah

Reaction score
Not flow.. I mean where you can input your credentials for Gmail, face book, etc in order for swift key to learn its predictions faster.

Ah ok, I gotcha. I think the general rule is it doesn't work in any field where the predictive text is disabled (i.e. password fields, email address fields, etc.).

huskur

Reaction score
Are you using it on the GS3 or GNote2? With the GNote2, I simply have to put the stylus back into the holder, close the keyboard and then open it back up again and it will have switched back to the typing keyboard.

Using the Note 2. Ending up power cycling the phone and its back to standard.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
getting a server busy error when trying to install the language.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
all you us english speaking people stope downloading so I can download :p.