Super-GPS with Augmented Reality

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;CW5Ug8JtE44]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW5Ug8JtE44&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Here's a pretty incredible, or at least incredibly useful, bit of exclusive software tech for Android. It's called "Route 66 Maps + Navigation," and aims to get you were you want to go easier. It blends turn-by-turn GPS nav with the augmented reality concept. It needs a dash-mount system, purchased separately, and the camera from your Android Tablet to create an augmented reality representation of you driving down the road you are on. It includes 100 detailed TomTom maps to offer premium level mapping capabilities as well. It will run on any Android 2.1 device or higher, and it will soon be available on the Android Market, including a 30-day trial period for use. No pricing has been announced yet.

I really like the idea of this technology, and the video above makes it look really intriguing, but it also seems a bit scary as I can see some people paying more attention to their Android than the road and getting "reality" confused just long enough to cause an accident. What do you guys think?

Source: Phonearena and Route 66

unrealtincan

Reaction score
The first thing I thought was, 'get that car out of the way so I can see!'.

tiger9853

Reaction score
yeah

I think I definately want it. I bet it will be a memory hog though

:motdroidhoriz:

dancedroid

brianes99

Reaction score
what a great idea

all my friends with their paranoid ideas of what google wants to do with street view images...now the reality can be seen.

what a great concept.

I agree it must be a memory hog, but will wait and see

shiccy

Reaction score
Meh

Few reasons I don't think this is needed. First and foremost I had a TomTom in the past (since it uses TomTom nav maps) and I was shocked at how OLD the maps were! Complexes that were in existence for >5 years are STILL not on them. Also, if it's TomTom maps, you can bet your rear that you'll have to pay their 'map upgrade fees' which are, IIRC, NOT inexpensive.

I'm quite happy with my Google maps turn by turn directions. *THE* only thing I wish Google would put together is a nicer voice for the turn by turn, but it works, is accurate as HELL, and best of all is free with your Google device.

In short, it looks like awesome tech, but if it is anything >$20, no thanks. (Personal feeling is that it'll be $75 or more, though)

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
all my friends with their paranoid ideas of what google wants to do with street view images...now the reality can be seen.

what a great concept.

i heard they were getting all those images so they could create a virtual reality world and force us all into it using us as batteries to power their machines.

brianes99

Reaction score

what a great concept.

i heard they were getting all those images so they could create a virtual reality world and force us all into it using us as batteries to power their machines.

hmm sounds like the plot for Otherland, a great series by Tad Williams

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

what a great concept.

hmm sounds like the plot for Otherland, a great series by Tad Williams
close but i was going Matrix with that one

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea but I personally prefer a cleaner, simpler GPS interface. Too much detail on the screen makes it take longer to get the actual info that you need at a glance.

I'm quite happy with my Google maps turn by turn directions. *THE* only thing I wish Google would put together is a nicer voice for the turn by turn, but it works, is accurate as HELL, and best of all is free with your Google device.
Accuracy is determined by your GPS receiver, not the app. The voice isn't part of the app either. Google Maps uses whatever is the default TTS engine on your device. If you don't like the voice then try another TTS engine. I personally prefer SVOX but Loquendo seemed promising as well. Neither are free.

epsilonbass

Reaction score
Man, I was excited at first as I thought they were going to go a different direction with that commercial.

I was thinking it was leading to, two people using the same gps app on their phones, recording the information of the leader that is then passed a long to their follower. Ending all the problems of....
Follower (calls): hey I lost you
Leader: oh just turn right after Delancy...
F: I don't know where that is..
L: Okay I'll pull over and wait...
F: Where are you?
L: You just passed me! Dangit, pull over and let me pass...

etc. etc..

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
looks to me like it is just giving you a picture of the road in front of you while you follow the direction arrows & voice guidance.
I Don't see where this is useful at all just a gimmick.

Tom Tom maps are horrible. I also had one I used for about a year and even with the latest map upgrades it still is missing allot of streets/ addresses etc. that come right up on google maps.
I still have the Tom Tom & it sits in a box ready to be sold, just haven't got around to it. I purchased the top of the line when I bought it since I use navigation for work everyday to find houses all over four different counties.

My free goggle maps is tons better & I don't have to carry another device anymore.