Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't think they have a choice really except to release it immediately.

One of two things will happen. Either the mandated EMV readers will still have a swipeable slot in them to accommodate the lengthy change over away from the magnetic strips...or they will eliminate them completely and force a mass adoption to EMV immediately.

I believe if the swipe slots disappear that Samsung has very little time to take advantage of their magnetic "NFC" feature. If the new EMV readers are backwards compatible then Samsung would have more breathing room.
I actually hope they're not backwards compatible. That'll be similar to having to wait behind someone at Wal-Mart with a check these days. Really? It's being processed immediately and electronically, just like a debit card. Get a debit card.

Instead of that, it'll be, Really? I have to wait for you to swipe your old card. Get a new card. Haha!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I have yet to see anyone pay with their phone besides myself. So I wonder why people aren't embracing it? People look at me like I'm from another planet or something.

Will there be a new type of strip to use as a backup for when the chip can't be scanned?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I been paying with my phone.....wait I am guessing you are referring to us tech nerds. There are more people adopting it especially since Apple is in the game. Towns with a younger population are going to be quicker to adopt the method vs those with an older population as the older generation are going to be more skeptical and cautious about the method.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I've tried it 3 times and have yet to have success.
And quite frankly, its simply quicker to swipe my card.
Pull out phone. Unlock. Find app. Unlock that. Tap. Tap again.

Turbo Tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
We have 600,000 people in my neck of the woods. It's not being adopted at all.