stuck in the middle smg900v

Marina Morgan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
GALAXY S5
Hi There,
I rooted my phone about a year ago. But somehow now it shows as not being rooted but with a custom rom. Tried using towelroot and that doesn't work. I'd like to upgrade to 5.0 but am stuck at 4.4.4
At this point I'm not sure what is easier to re-root or downgrade unroot and use samsung update?

cant disable knox it keeps popping up.
can't download an update

I know just enough to be dangerous and eff up my phone. Please help a noob out

smg900v
g900vvru1ani2
kernel- 3.4.0-319685
DPI@SWDD5609#1 32 BIT
build ktu84p.g900vvruani2
bootloader version G900VVRU1ANI2
PDA VERSION G900VVRU1ANI2
CSC VERS. G900VVZW1ANI2
BASEBAND VERS G900VVRUIANI2

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
What are you using to show whether or not your device is rooted? Rootchecker is what you'll want to use. What "custom rom" do you have on your device? The only way to flash a custom rom on the Verizon S5 is via Safestrap. If you didn't install Safestrap and flash a rom, then your S5 is simply rooted stock.
Please keep in mind that 5.0 royally screwed up the S5 by ruining battery life and causing a number of other issues. The latest (and last) Lollipop update for the S5 is 5.1.1 and resolved most of these issues. Your best bet is to unroot and then take the update. You can unroot your device by going into your SuperSU app and clicking on "unroot". Then either take the update through your device, or through your pc via KIES. Android 5.1.1 Lollipop for Samsung Galaxy S5 on Verizon Out Now with Security Patches!
Please be advised that you won't be able to reroot your S5 via Towelroot once you've updated to 5.1.1.

I've stuck with 4.4.4 on my rooted S5 as it performs flawlessly since day one and still provides excellent battery life.
Good luck!

S5 tap'n