Stress Test

CrusoeCale

Reaction score
I'm heading out today for a week and a half long trip to CT, and NYC and am curious to see how my new Droid will hold up in this position versus being plugged in at my desk while I use it as it usually is. So far my Droid has been great for Pandora radio. Wireless tether is better than candy when it comes to keeping the little kids quiet, just threaten to turn off the internet if they get too loud :p. Can't wait to see how well the Droid holds up.

Anybody have any experiences they want to share after being in a similar scenario?

Also, we are driving from Jacksonville, Florida to Evans, Georgia to New Haven, Connecticut, to New York City, to Charleston, South Carolina, back to Evans, Georgia, then finally back to Jacksonville, Florida. So it's not as easy as hopping on a plane and skipping the nitty gritty.

Last edited:

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Well if you're referring to connection to the network during your trip, Verizon's is famous for it's coverage. Not that it doesn't have its holes, all carriers do. If you mean battery life it depends on usage and how much the phone has to search for connectivity. If you have the car charger, then no worries. I can tell you Verizon definitely has the Tri-State area (NY,NJ,CT) covered.

swallman

Reaction score
I'm heading out today for a week and a half long trip to CT, and NYC and am curious to see how my new Droid will hold up in this position versus being plugged in at my desk while I use it as it usually is. So far my Droid has been great for Pandora radio. Wireless tether is better than candy when it comes to keeping the little kids quiet, just threaten to turn off the internet if they get too loud :p. Can't wait to see how well the Droid holds up.

Anybody have any experiences they want to share after being in a similar scenario?

Also, we are driving from Jacksonville, Florida to Evans, Georgia to New Haven, Connecticut, to New York City, to Charleston, South Carolina, back to Evans, Georgia, then finally back to Jacksonville, Florida. So it's not as easy as hopping on a plane and skipping the nitty gritty.

Just make sure to get a car charger.

OP
CrusoeCale

CrusoeCale

Reaction score
Well if you're referring to connection to the network during your trip, Verizon's is famous for it's coverage. Not that it doesn't have its holes, all carriers do. If you mean battery life it depends on usage and how much the phone has to search for connectivity. If you have the car charger, then no worries. I can tell you Verizon definitely has the Tri-State area (NY,NJ,CT) covered.

Yeah, I have a car charger. I'm thinking just overall testing. How well will it work in a pinch if I need to find a local store. How well the GPS works when you need it. Just overall testing.

eliassami5

Reaction score
one word of caution...KEEP IT OFF THE DASH.

GPS= heat
charging= heat
sun beating down on the phone= heat
wifi teather= heat
Pandora= heat

this all results in the phone protecting itself by stopping charging...and getting really really hot, not to mention rebooting.

Mount the phone somewhere in front of an AC vent or somewhere out of direct sunlight with some ventilation. You will know what i mean when you get on with your road trip.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Yeah, I have a car charger. I'm thinking just overall testing. How well will it work in a pinch if I need to find a local store. How well the GPS works when you need it. Just overall testing.
You will be pleasantly surprised. I got a little story for you !!
I had to find a tire store when I blew out a trailer tire leaving town In southern California @5:00 PM.
Trailer tires can be hard to find.
I was on a trip and had no clue where to find a tire store. Knowing that they would probably close no later than 6:00 PM on a Sunday. Time was of the essence before I ended up stranded their until Monday morning.

I hit the search button on my DROID and said tire store.
It brought up the internet with all the local tire stores. I started down the list calling them by touching the phone number on the page & having it dial for me. to see who was still open & if they had the size tire I needed.
when I found the tire, I touched the address and had my trusty DROID navigate me right to the tire store before they closed.dancedroid
The guy riding with me exclaimed "I am really beginning to like that phone of yours !!!!"

I found pizza for the family on a late night the same way another time.

I use the GPS all the time for work locally & while traveling and it works better than the TomTOM I was using that I just updated the map on. The TomTom has been sitting since getting the Droid.

The possibilities are endless.:heart::greendroid:

mstef66

Reaction score

I live in CT and coverage is great up here.
As for the scenario, I took a 2 week trip to our land in TN where we have no type of internet service. I used the phone daily for tasks I would usually use my PC. The Droid performed perfectly. Data was a bit slow but I thing that is due to the lack of interned in that area. I assume most people use the Verizon 3G for their internet.
From there I took the Droid on a Motorcycle trip to AR. Had it plugged in to a car charger all the time and bluetooth connected to my bike intercom.

The Droid lived up to all expectations and then some.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I've driven from CT to Ohio and back, and my Moto Droid worked like a charm the entire way - data, GPS, and all. Even on those long winding stretches of PA turnpike nestled among the hills, where you'd think that cell service might get a little spotty. But it didn't.

OP
CrusoeCale

CrusoeCale

Reaction score
I'm travelling with a Jewish cousin in of mine, he can't eat anything other than kosher food, and eating Cheez-its doesn't really cut it for us. I just searched for Kosher restaurants on Maps and it pinpointed all the kosher restaurants and stores in the D.C. area. It's been a great help so far. As for the heat, it gets pretty hot but no actual problems so far. I leave it in the center console charging and it does fine.