Streaming radio with screen off

JWDX

Reaction score
How can I have the audio on for streaming radio, but turn off the screen to save battery? I can stream with the screen on, but when I turn it off to save power, the audio turns off. The music player stays on when the screen is off, but not streams. I can keep the phone connected to my computer, but the battery still runs down and the case gets warm when the screen is on.
Thanks.

Power

Reaction score
No idea but excellent question. For now you might have to set your screen to the lowest brightness setting so the streaming continues. Annoying they don't factor that in for saving battery life but in time hopefully they'll figure it out.

Last edited:

ffmariners

Reaction score
I use Pandora and Grooveshark and stream music over bluetooth to my car stereo. Turning off the screen does not replicate what you are saying (the music keeps playing).

Technoman

Reaction score
I use Radio Time and mine keeps playing just fine. So does Scanner Radio... not sure what you are using.. maybe you should post the APP so we can assist better?

OP
J

JWDX

Reaction score
I just streamed a local radio station from that station's web site using the browser. I wasn't using any app or special radio website.
I should be able to do that without having to keep the screen on, just like playing mp3s.
I guess I'll have to check out the ones you all are using.

Technoman

Reaction score
I just streamed a local radio station from that station's web site using the browser. I wasn't using any app or special radio website.
I should be able to do that without having to keep the screen on, just like playing mp3s.
I guess I'll have to check out the ones you all are using.

Actually what you witnessed makes sense. A web site is usually visual, so it makes sense that the phone stops data from the browser when you lock the screen.

kk4df

Reaction score
Do you happen to use Juice Defender? If so, you will have to add the Pandora app as an exception. I had the same issue you describe until I did this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Power

Reaction score
Not sure about the OP but I was referring to Pandora and it stops playing if I turn the screen off. I do have JuiceDefender (but not running currenly) so I'll go enable it, set Pandora to not timeout, and give it a shot.

---edit----
Looks like that works, JuiceDefender enabled and configured to NOT power off the connection for Pandora. Thanks!

Last edited: