Strange viscous liquid on the inside of the phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have to admit that I thought this was baloney. But I just looked in the same spot on mine and there was a very
light film of oil right on the same spot. I'm a light user, like 4 days between charges light. I'm not as upset as you
though, I just wiped it up and will keep an eye on it. Out of curiosity, do you use the assistive light much?

Where did you buy the phone from? A retail store, Verizon store? The fluid looks as though it's seeping from the camera area. As the place the liquid is at is a hard plastic casing, when you wipe it away does it appear to still be hard plastic there or does it look degraded in any way? From your best estimates does it appear to be coming from the camera or just seeping up through the hard plastic?

Just to clarify, on most days jaydub5 I use my phone 5-10 hours of moderate to heavy gaming / browsing and my phone does not have a leaking liquid so I don't think it's fair to say that it is because you use the product moderately. There are many others that use their phone longer periods of time then both of us.

Looking at the teardown pictures I do not see anything remotely in that area that could be causing the problem, so if it is something from inside the phone it has to be coming from a different area and making its way up there.

I have to agree with New2u on this one. I also investigated and found nothing in/on/under the case at that location that seems even remotely capable of causing such a "viscous" liquid to seep through or collect/gather in the spot indicated. And with the same thing happening on 3 consecutive phones, I would normally say it's not possible however with the post from mscoul concurring, I don't wish to doubt you.

I suppose it is conceivable that in the process of manufacturing the plastic, a "pocket" of one or another component used in the manufacture of the case (this viscous liquid), could be left behind in the extruded and molded plastic case (though extremely unlikely), and somehow seep or leech out over time. What is highly suspicious is that by your account the apparent leeching of this viscous fluid is at exactly the same spot in all three instances. It's extremely unlikely that the pure chance of such an unmixed component would somehow find itself being in the exact same spot in the extrusion of the case in multiple extrusions. It's even more unlikely that you would be the unlucky recipient of three of those extremely rare instances in a row, while there were (save for mcsoul), virtually no other cases mentioned of this happening. Still, anything is possible I suppose.

I do know one thing...if it were me, I'd have given up on the specific phone that you're having problems with by now. I do wish you luck in a successful resolution.

Caesars

Reaction score
Where do you live at? Is it possible that the phone gets very warm in that area while you're in a cold climate?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

iamreal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
yu yureka
This has happened to three of my Note 3's so far. Next to the camera lens,
just to the left and above the VZW letters in the black plastic body, I have been seeing droplets of an oil like substance that keeps coming back once it is removed. Verizon has no clue.
Samsung has no clue. There is also liquid near the earphone jack, and near the sim card. The fluid is not coming from the outside of the phone. It seems to be oozing through the black plastic body.

My last Note 3 simply stopped making calls... nice.

Seems Samsung has quality control issues.
hi,
seems like i have the same issue. Did you find the reason for it. Well not note3 but some device.

rahuld

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Gionee V5
I'm having same problem with my gionee V5.
The liquid is near camera at the same position like these images which was posted. This problem is sorted or not? Can anybody help?

Madaraawoken

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lg k7
I have a lg k7 and have the same problem.It seems as though its a clear oil smells like machine oil....

Madaraawoken

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lg k7
I have a lg k7 and am having the same problem. It smells like machine oil.

misaki

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung j1
hello
I also have the same problem
today my samsung j1 was covered in clear liquid which was around the camera lens the flash and the sound area but nothing wrong with phone screen
is it hazardous to use it or to even charge it
im scared plz help

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
it could be the battery is leaking and it could be the case, depending on the type of case you have. some cases with glitter has been known to leak. you can easily eliminate the case as cause by taking it off and leaving it off.

Hector Gallego

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 3
hello all,
I also have the same problem with a Note 3.

it has been leaking that oily fluid several times, I have cleaned that area and keep coming up again

Battery is in very good shape, no signs of leaking or inflated if you can call it like that. That liquid it is not from condensation of water, is a clear liquid with an oil texture and odor.

Also phone is getting hotter every time and getting very slow.

If any one can help will be appreciate.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the Forum Hector. . As stated earlier in this thread, the only real logical explanation is that it's coming from the battery. I don't think any other phone component has an oily liquid anywhere.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk