Strange reboot issue

vkashat

Reaction score
I've noticed this ever since I started using the Froyo custom roms (any of them, and I've gone back and forth between BB and JRummy):

Whenever I stream music (pandora, slacker, cherry rplayer, etc) and browse the web at the same time (with any browser, stock, dolphin, xscope) it's almost certain my phone will at some point freeze and reboot.

Is anybody else having this problem? Any ideas as to what could be causing it? How to fix?

I'm hoping to avoid wiping data/cache, especially if it's not guaranteed that will solve the problem. But if I have to I have to.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm running Froyo without a custom rom and have no issues. Are you running a task killer? If so, I'd get rid of that.

OP
V

vkashat

Reaction score
I was using Auto Memory Manager, I uninstalled and so far so good.

Thanks for the tip it seems to have done the job.

I may have to go back to a traditional task manager (ATK, or something similar).

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
I was using Auto Memory Manager, I uninstalled and so far so good.

Thanks for the tip it seems to have done the job.

I may have to go back to a traditional task manager (ATK, or something similar).

What is odd is I use Auto Mem manager myself and stream Pandora all the time and have even Wifi tether at the same time and have no trouble.

what kernel you running on the deivce? It could be the voltage version you are using. By using Pandora and then web browsing the processor may not be getting enough voltage on the speed changes depending on how you have your device setup ( ie If you use setCPU with profiles). First thing I'd try depending on what kernel it is would be to step up one step in voltage. so if you are running an ultra low voltage go to low voltage. If say you are on p3 low voltage try his standard voltage.

OP
V

vkashat

Reaction score
I usually run ChevyNo1's ultra low voltage 1.25ghz

And 90% of the time I have setcpu to 1250max 550min performance scaling, and I'll still see the problem with that setting.

Again, I stream music no problem, but when I would stream and browse the web at the same time, midway through a page loading the phone would freeze & reboot.

I'll experiment some more and post again later with my findings.

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
that being said I'd try 2 things. One try going to his LV 1.25 kernel. Second I wouldn't put it on performance specially if you use the temp profile in setCPU depending on what temp you have it set to. Reason I say that is with performance is it being clocked at 1.25 almost all the time. With that being said say the temp gets to high and then it clocks down to cool to whatever setting you have set, well the voltage change with the tasks at hand and slower clock speed could be causing the freeze up.

If you don;t want to test another kernel first I'd lower the high end of your setting to 1Ghz or a notch lower and just test it. If that works out and doesn't freeze and you really want it at 1.25 install a higher voltage kernel and test it at 1.25 again. Personally tho at this time of year with ambient temps and running at 1.25Ghz and multi tasking it could just be a heat issue. Winter time I'll run mine at 1.1 or higher, but this time of year I try to stay 90Mhz of lower. And now with Froyo out you will barely notice a difference in normal daily use at the lower clock speed, IMO at least.

badazz74

Reaction score
I have a similar problem but only with doubletwist media play, when i play a video and try to move the progress bar it freezes and then reboots. Not sure if its related. I am running latest jrummy 2.2 with ChevyNo1's ultra low voltage 1.2ghz. I do have advance task killer installed, will uninstall and see if that helps.

Nope uninstalled adv task killer and it still froze and rebooted.

Last edited:

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
IMO ultra low voltage kernels are more times then not the issue. Most device do not like ultra low voltage. I'd seriously go up a step using the same kernel and try it. Kinda why chevyno1 went back to low voltage as the standard kernel in his ROM. On his one release that he used ultra low it caused nothing but headaches for a lot of people.

aldaudio

Reaction score
i, too, am having a freeze issue; but it happens with a lot of things. i never really had an issue before going to kangerade.

i am using chevy's ULV 1.1 kernel, so i'm gonna try switching to LV to see if that helps. i also use ATK, but i've never had any issues with it before.

i've had it lock up in the market, while browsing the net, and just recently while in Root Explorer. also, my phone seems to be running pretty laggy lately. not sure what the issue is, tho i'm thinking it may be LauncherPro?

vmann32

Reaction score
I notice a similar issue using any kernel above 1.2 But I use P3Droid 1.2 and this morning my gentle alarm went off and I dismissed it and it froze and reboot.Also noticed this morning after that nes them gmail said no connection 3g.I switch over to droid x and so far so good.

aldaudio

Reaction score
well, i switched to a 1ghz LV kernel, and no issues so far....

knock on wood.

OP
V

vkashat

Reaction score
that being said I'd try 2 things. One try going to his LV 1.25 kernel. Second I wouldn't put it on performance specially if you use the temp profile in setCPU depending on what temp you have it set to. Reason I say that is with performance is it being clocked at 1.25 almost all the time. With that being said say the temp gets to high and then it clocks down to cool to whatever setting you have set, well the voltage change with the tasks at hand and slower clock speed could be causing the freeze up.

If you don;t want to test another kernel first I'd lower the high end of your setting to 1Ghz or a notch lower and just test it. If that works out and doesn't freeze and you really want it at 1.25 install a higher voltage kernel and test it at 1.25 again. Personally tho at this time of year with ambient temps and running at 1.25Ghz and multi tasking it could just be a heat issue. Winter time I'll run mine at 1.1 or higher, but this time of year I try to stay 90Mhz of lower. And now with Froyo out you will barely notice a difference in normal daily use at the lower clock speed, IMO at least.

I took your advice and started using ChevyNo1 LV 1.25, set the scaling to on-demand 1100max 550min. It's not quite the powerhouse it was, but it does seem more stable for now (and temp is more controlled). I'll continue experimenting, if it goes a few days without a freeze/reboot I'll add auto memory manager again and see what happens.

Aixelsyd

Reaction score

I took your advice and started using ChevyNo1 LV 1.25, set the scaling to on-demand 1100max 550min. It's not quite the powerhouse it was, but it does seem more stable for now (and temp is more controlled). I'll continue experimenting, if it goes a few days without a freeze/reboot I'll add auto memory manager again and see what happens.

nice glad to hear there is some success so far. One suggestion tho for your comment about not being the powerhouse it was. Part of the reason is you don't have it set to performance which IMO is a good thing. Performance will keep it at Max clock speed no matter what. So when you had it that way before it more then likely was always running at 1.25Ghz which is why is was the powerhouse. That said in your new settings try raising the Min speed from the 550 you have now to a slot between 700 - 900. That way you'll have ondemand but it will range from the 700-900 up to 1.1Max like you have set currently. Then you should an improvement in it.