Storing Word documents and Adobe pdfs on my Droid, to email via Gmail to others

DianeDennis

Reaction score
Hello!

I sell downloadable construction forms and documents and I am often having to replace my customers' forms/documents. And it's usually several forms/documents at once, and often it's the same forms/documents to more than one customer.

When I'm in the office it's no problem because I do it from my computer where I can attach the forms to an Entourage email and send them.

I need a solution for when I'm out of the office.

I've discovered that if I send a Gmail, I can't resend it. So, I attach all the forms to the Gmail, hit send and then when the next person needs a replacement, I have to make a new email and attach the forms all over again. This will work if I'm using my computer because the forms are stored on my computer but if I'm using my Droid I don't have access to the forms because they're on my computer but not on my Droid.

I've also discovered that Google docs won't work without the recipient being able to share the access link with others which would enable those others to access the forms without paying for them.

So, my next thought is... Can I store these forms on my phone, and then when I create an email in Gmail through my Droid, can I upload copies of the forms to the Gmail email, as attachments, from my Droid because the forms are stored on my Droid (if they can be stored on my Droid)?

And, if they *can* be stored on my Droid, how do I get them onto my Droid?

Thank you so much for any help anyone can give me!! :)

Sincerely,
Diane Dennis

Last edited:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i think it would be possible to do that if you plugged the phone in and dropped the files on the sd card. I think you should be able to attach them even if they cant be opened. I'l try it out and get back to you.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
just tried it out to be sure, dropped an open office doc on my phone's sd card and was able to attach it and send it just fine. If you need help on how to do that i can help you with that.

OP
D

DianeDennis

Reaction score
Thank you SO MUCH spaz!!

And I would love if you could help me!

I have a couple pictures on my SD card and some pictures in my gallery. I have NO idea how I got the pictures on my SD card, it was purely by accident. :icon_eek:

And how to get them back off, NO clue...

And... How much space do the SD cards have? I bought an extra SD card for specifically this need, even though I didn't know how to do it, because the guy at Verizon suggested it so that I wouldn't use up all the space on my first SD card but... If the forms are on one SD card but it's the other SD card that's in my phone at the time, how do I get the forms from the SD card that isn't in my phone? It seems like I would have to remove my battery to swap the SD cards.

Thank you again so much!!
Diane

pyro6128

Reaction score
Yea just keep them on your sd card. Another solution that would work pretty well is to download dropbox. Then you can keep all of your work documents in the dropbox folder on your comp, and have access to them wherever you are. I do that with all of my school work, that way if I ever forget something at home, I can always just grab it from my phone or tablet.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
dropbox is a good idea for sure but it would have the same limitations for sharing as google docs as in being able to pass the link to others, but you could use it to have your files in the cloud and pull them to your phone to send.

anyway as far as putting th files on your sd card (assuming it's the same as on the d2 which i'm fairly certain it is) plug your phone in to your computer and choose usb mass storage. You may be able to do his from a menu that pops up when you plug it in or you may have to do it in settings. After you choose usb mass storage, your computer will see your phone's sd card as if it were a thmb drive, so depending o whether you're using windows, linux or mac you will have to find it where ever removeable storage devices get located. Open the storage device up and you will see a bunch of folders and files and such, all you have to do is drag and drop your documents to the folder of choice on the sd card, i would probably make a new folder myself, and when you're done eject the storage device.

Now the files will be on the sd and when you go to create an email in gmail, you will choose to attach a file and it will open your file browser and you will locate the files for attachment. Pretty easy.

OP
D

DianeDennis

Reaction score
Sounds very easy spaz, thank you so much (and my customers thank you too)!! :)

Thank you for mentioning Dropbox pyro! I haven't heard of that before now. :)

Spaz, do you know how much an SD card for the Droid holds, by kb if that's how it's measured? Or does it vary by card?

Here's a question I just had, an idea to avoid putting all of these on my SD card...

If you know how servers work (although I have a website I'm kinda sketchy on the servers), if I posted my forms online at my server, within a password protected folder, would I be able to "pull" them to my phone, like you said about Dropbox?

Thank you again!!
Diane