Storage space and saving to SD card

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Okay I have looked and looked and have not seen this topic posted. If it is and I am duplicating I am very sorry.

I have had my Droid since Nov 10 but I am still new at trying to figure out all the workings. I need some help.

I was going through the market last night, looking to see what was new and what I might want to replace (app wise) on my phone when I got a notification at the top of my phone that said "low storage space". When I opened it and looked at the information, it looks like everything is saving to my internal storage and not to the SD card. Is this normal? Should I change it? Are the apps that we download suppose to go to the internal storage or should they be saved to the SD card? How do I change the defalt so that I save to the SD card instead of the internal storage? And now how do I move stuff that is now on the internal storage to the SD card?

I am totally lost. I went ahead and deleted some of my apps to make the message go away for now but I am afraid it will come back.

Right now it says I have 31.66 MB available in Internal Storage and 14.76 GB available on the SD card.

I hope I have made sense and someone can help me.

Thanks.
Dot

Silver Member
Reaction score
apps install to the locally allocated 256MB RAM. this has been the way that Android OS operates for some time.

google has plans to change this in the future, but it is not available yet.

that being said, apps DO have access to the SD card, they just need to create a footprint in the RAM space first.

so you're not going to be able to install the entire market on your phone. ;)

OP
dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I can't?????? Oh darn. lmao. I know that when I first got my Droid all the apps were overwhelming and I seemed to download whatever I got my hands on. I have been slowly getting rid of a bunch of nonsense. I figured that was the case. I guess I am wondering more if there is a way that I should put like the wallpapers or themes on the SD card or if that is even possible. I am a typical girl that likes to change the look of my phone frequently. lol.

Silver Member
Reaction score
anything that you personally save, will save to the SD card. how an app manages its own data is up to the developer.

so if you wanted a bunch of wallpapers, you could save all of those to a wallpaper folder on the SD card.

koralyne

Reaction score
anything that you personally save, will save to the SD card. how an app manages its own data is up to the developer.

so if you wanted a bunch of wallpapers, you could save all of those to a wallpaper folder on the SD card.

is it not possible to download an app and manually put it in the sd?

koralyne

Reaction score
download yes, install no.

hmm, i heard somewhere you could store the bulk of the files in an app to the DS but keep the executable on the onboard.

was that wrong or something?

Silver Member
Reaction score
if the developer has coded their app to do so, then yes.