Stop receiving emails from pop3 account every 24 - 48 hours

michellesax

Reaction score
I purchased my Droid on Nov. 27th. I set up two pop3 email accounts & continue to have the same problem...I receive emails for approximately 24 - 48 hours, and then they stop coming through. The only way to get them through again is by taking the battery out & back in and then repowering the Droid. The same cycle continues (within 24 - 48 hours the emails stop syncing). I returned my Droid approximately 2 weeks ago & was given a replacement, but I continue to experience the same problem on the replacement. I have been on the phone at least a dozen times with Verizon & Motorola Tech Support (and even my ISP) and have had no resolution.

During my latest call to Motorola's Tech Support dept., the rep admitted that Motorola is aware that there is an issue with some pop3 accounts & they are "diligently working on the issue," but they are not able to guarantee a fix or an update. The only thing they can suggest at this time is to take the same steps that I have been taking (taking battery out & back in).

A Verizon Wireless Customer Support Rep told me tonight the reason that my Droid is not functioning properly is because I am on a grandfathered plan (Digital Choice) vs. the new Nationwide plan. I was not aware there was a difference between the two plans in the coverage/service...I assumed it was just a matter of minutes/allowances & and that I pay for calls made outside of my regional area vs. those calls being included in my plan. I'm not sure if there is any truth to what she said. The sound quality on my phone is very poor (sounds like I'm talking into a tin can), so maybe this would be the reason. I have read many posts about Droid having issues with pop3 accounts, so I'm uncertain if it is an issue with the phone or if it is in fact the plan I'm on. If anyone has any knowledge or experience with this, please let me know.

JayMonster

Reaction score
The issue has NOTHING to do with the VZW plan you are on, that is a sales rep doing what they do... sell.

Yes, the POP3 client has issues... serious issues in some cases.

Try downloading K-9 from the Android Market (make sure you get the final and not the beta) and I think you will find it satisfactory.

bchockey

Reaction score
I have been trying to find the K-9 client. I found it somewhere but the Droid blocks me from installing it because it says it did not come from Android market or something to that effect. Can you tell me how to get it?

JayMonster

Reaction score
K-9 is in the market... are you trying to download it from their website?

I have "Unknown Locations" checked (allowed) under Menu>applications so that I can download anything I want.

bchockey

Reaction score
Hi Jaymonster,

Found k-9 in the Android Market........not sure how I missed it the first time. Installed, configured and working perfectly! Thanks so much for all the help. I've gotten nowhere with Verizon support, and can't thank you enough for the tips on k-9. I'm actually starting to like the Droid now! Best regards, BC-Hockey.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Found k-9 in the Android Market........not sure how I missed it the first time. Installed, configured and working perfectly!

If that isn't a testament that the Market needs an overhaul, I don't know what is... it is going to quickly become a weak point rather than the advantage it is supposed to be.

I've gotten nowhere with Verizon support, and can't thank you enough for the tips on k-9. I'm actually starting to like the Droid now! Best regards, BC-Hockey.

Unfortuantely, there is really no way for Verizon support to really be helpful in this regard... the more complex things get, the more important and useful a good community like droidforums becomes.

I'm just glad I could help... and glad you like your Droid now. :icon_ banana: