Stop bluetooth from reading my text messages aloud! Pls help!!

Mudrubble

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Recently, my bluetooth has taken to reading out my texts out loud, which is a huge problem when I'm connected to external bluetooth speakers. An embarrassing problem that must stop. At all costs.

I don't know what's changed and I don't know what to do to stop this. The only clue I have is that in "Application Manager", when I go to "Bluetooth Share" and scroll down to "Permissions", it lists:

edit your text messages (SMS or MMS)
read your text messages (SMS or MMS)
recieve text messages (SMS)
send SMS messages - this may cost you money

I suspect it's the "read your text messages" that's causing my problem (although I am not smartphone savvy by any means so my suspicion may not be worth much) but there is seemingly no way to edit these permissions from this screen. It makes no sense to list the permissions but make them impossible to edit, so I'm sure they can be edited somewhere but I just don't know where.

Can anyone help? There's a gold star in this for you. Two, even. I will commemorate your name in these forums.

Please and thank you

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome to the forum!

I'm guessing there's an option in the main settings of the phone, under Accessibility that might be the culprit, probably under "hands-free" or maybe in "car mode".

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum @Mudrubble!
There could be a couple of things causing this. First, go to your home screen and swipe down your notification bar with 2 fingers. It will bring up a screen similar to this.
z9rLKxP.jpg

Make sure "car mode" isn't activated.
Second, go into Settings, Language & Input, click on "read notifications aloud".
wIzfSvJ.png

Make sure none of these options have been checked.
QzRtIQT.png
If any of the above were activated, disable them, reboot your phone & Bluetooth and let us know if that works for you.
If not I believe there's one other setting you can check. I don't recall what it is at the moment, but I'll look into it real quick while you're checking on the other two.
Good luck!

S5 tap'n

OP
M

Mudrubble

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Thank you, good Mr. Kansas. I went into Accessibility and I see neither Car Mode nor Hands Free. These same two options were suggested to me before, by someone else, but I don't see them. I'm sure you're more familiar with the S5 menu than I am, but I only have Vision, Hearing, Dexterity and Interaction, Direct Access (off), Answering and ending calls, Single tap mode, Manage accessibility, AirDroid Notification (off). I've gone into each one and the closest I found to your suggestions was "Text-to-speech" under "Vision" but this only lets me set the engine to use, not under what circumstances it starts speaking.

Any clue how to find those car mode or hands free options under Accessibility? Either you or another good samaritan?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thank you, good Mr. Kansas. I went into Accessibility and I see neither Car Mode nor Hands Free. These same two options were suggested to me before, by someone else, but I don't see them. I'm sure you're more familiar with the S5 menu than I am, but I only have Vision, Hearing, Dexterity and Interaction, Direct Access (off), Answering and ending calls, Single tap mode, Manage accessibility, AirDroid Notification (off). I've gone into each one and the closest I found to your suggestions was "Text-to-speech" under "Vision" but this only lets me set the engine to use, not under what circumstances it starts speaking.

Any clue how to find those car mode or hands free options under Accessibility? Either you or another good samaritan?
Refer to @cr6 's post above. That's a great place to start.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

OP
M

Mudrubble

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
cr6, thank you too. I went into both, now finding both car mode and Notification Readout and neither had anything selected. Car mode was off and every box was unchecked on notification readout.

OP
M

Mudrubble

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Another interesting thing. It is not reading aloud with my bluetooth headset. It only seems to do it with my external bluetooth speaker. Is there maybe a setting in that app but since my bt speakers aren't connected (I'm at work) the settings are limited. I'll go home, connect and see if the settings in my soundblaster app are causing this. My external bt speaker is a soundblaster. Seems to only happen with this, so prob an app setting?

You guys have been very helpful. Thanks - at least I know none of the general settings are causing this.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Ok, I found the other setting I mentioned. Go back into settings, accessibility, vision, make sure "Talkback" is disabled.
zNjW710.png

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Another interesting thing. It is not reading aloud with my bluetooth headset. It only seems to do it with my external bluetooth speaker. Is there maybe a setting in that app but since my bt speakers aren't connected (I'm at work) the settings are limited. I'll go home, connect and see if the settings in my soundblaster app are causing this. My external bt speaker is a soundblaster. Seems to only happen with this, so prob an app setting?

You guys have been very helpful. Thanks - at least I know none of the general settings are causing this.
That's very possible. Please stop back by and let us know if you determine that's the issue!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm interested to see if it's indeed Talkback. This has happened to me in the past...a few select apps will trigger the Talkback feature and it can be a major pain.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm interested to see if it's indeed Talkback. This has happened to me in the past...a few select apps will trigger the Talkback feature and it can be a major pain.

S5 tap'n
I almost suggested that myself. I'm hoping the OP is on to something by thinking it's something in the Soundblaster app though.

OP
M

Mudrubble

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Life's never that easy for me. Talkback is off. I'll have to check later on my SB app once the speaker's connected and update you guys.... if you think of anything else, I'm all ears like Martin Lawrence.

OP
M

Mudrubble

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
newmanx4 - I am using Swiftkey and I'm going to see if it's a feature in there. What brilliant thinking!!

I tested my soundblaster external bt speaker and no go. None of the options control the reading out of texts, and I guess it makes sense since my texts are read out over any bluetooth connection, not just the soundblaster. And it's driving me mad. I hope your idea about it being my messaging app is the culprit.

Why didn't I think of that? Thanks. I'll report back.