Stock 16gb SD Card Questions...

Rocko

Reaction score
Does anyone know the specs on the supplied 16g Micro SD card? It has no name on it and looks to be generic.

Would a fast branded card help the phone or increase access time to items stored on the card?

Mammoth84

Reaction score
Mines a SanDisk as well. Says so in big letters across the top.

sephtin

Reaction score
Does anyone know the specs on the supplied 16g Micro SD card? It has no name on it and looks to be generic.

Would a fast branded card help the phone or increase access time to items stored on the card?

Stock card that comes with the X is a SanDisk. It's a Class2 card (The SLOWEST you can get, basically).

A faster card (class6 or class10!) WOULD give you MUCH faster read/write times for anything that you're doing on the SDCard... yes.

If you're even considering moving any apps to SDCard, I suggest against it unless you get something faster.. due to the stock SDCard being crap. :p

R

RETG

I have moved a couple apps to the stock SD card and the delay in the opening of these apps is negligible when compared to when they were mounted to the phone.

Some of the apps moved were "Where" (information on local places 1.53MB), "InkPad" (name speaks for itself 476KB), "Edmondo" (tracking program 544KB, and there has been NO problem with it logging information while in use), "Bubble" (a bubble level 36K in size) and one or two other ones.

The only app I moved to SD card that I noticed a delay in was Google Sky Map, so I brought it back to the phone.

My suggestion to anyone would be to activate an app, move it, and then activate and see how long the delay is.

sephtin

Reaction score
I have moved a couple apps to the stock SD card and the delay in the opening of these apps is negligible when compared to when they were mounted to the phone.

Some of the apps moved were "Where" (information on local places 1.53MB), "InkPad" (name speaks for itself 476KB), "Edmondo" (tracking program 544KB, and there has been NO problem with it logging information while in use), "Bubble" (a bubble level 36K in size) and one or two other ones.

The only app I moved to SD card that I noticed a delay in was Google Sky Map, so I brought it back to the phone.

My suggestion to anyone would be to activate an app, move it, and then activate and see how long the delay is.

Makes sense.

I guess I would ask.. WHY would you want to move them to the SDCard in the first place?

There are some other phones that have a mere 1gb or so of internal memory, and Apps2SD is a HUGE improvement for those phones. The X has 8gb, and less than 2gb is used by /system and other partitions... leaving more than 6gb available to the /data partition for apps and data.

Knowing that the SDCard is slower than internal.. I guess my question would be what incentive is there AT ALL for moving anything from internal to SDCard... because I don't know of any advantages.. only disadvantages (UNLESS you have a FAST SDCard)..

R

RETG

Makes sense.

I guess I would ask.. WHY would you want to move them to the SDCard in the first place?

There are some other phones that have a mere 1gb or so of internal memory, and Apps2SD is a HUGE improvement for those phones. The X has 8gb, and less than 2gb is used by /system and other partitions... leaving more than 6gb available to the /data partition for apps and data.

Knowing that the SDCard is slower than internal.. I guess my question would be what incentive is there AT ALL for moving anything from internal to SDCard... because I don't know of any advantages.. only disadvantages (UNLESS you have a FAST SDCard)..

Basically, I got curious while waiting in a hospital's waiting room in Grand Junction one evening, hoping to see a friend who was in critical condition due being shot. Rather than sit there and go crazy, I pulled out the phone, stared checking how fast an app would open, then I moved the app to the SD card, and check to see how fast it opened.

So, out of a need to not think of other things, I played with my phone. Since then, I had pretty much forgotten about it until I read your message and just wanted to step in and say for some apps, the time to access; whether on the internal memory or on the SD card was so negligible it was almost impossible to determine a difference in time.

I see no reason to move them back at this time. Possibly, some day in the future, I might decide the space on the SD card is more important. Especially, as you state, there is more than enough space in internal memory. And, I believe I have all the apps I will ever need, so the SD card will be used for other purposes such as photos, videos, etc.

sephtin

Reaction score

Makes sense.

Basically, I got curious while waiting in a hospital's waiting room in Grand Junction one evening, hoping to see a friend who was in critical condition due being shot. Rather than sit there and go crazy, I pulled out the phone, stared checking how fast an app would open, then I moved the app to the SD card, and check to see how fast it opened.

So, out of a need to not think of other things, I played with my phone. Since then, I had pretty much forgotten about it until I read your message and just wanted to step in and say for some apps, the time to access; whether on the internal memory or on the SD card was so negligible it was almost impossible to determine a difference in time.

I see no reason to move them back at this time. Possibly, some day in the future, I might decide the space on the SD card is more important. Especially, as you state, there is more than enough space in internal memory. And, I believe I have all the apps I will ever need, so the SD card will be used for other purposes such as photos, videos, etc.

Sounds like a totally valid reason to move apps to the SDCard. :)
Minus the part about a friend being shot.. :( How horrible.. hope they're ok!