Steve Kondik a.k.a 'Cyanogen' Hired by Samsung

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cyanogen-mod-7-011.png

Last night the Twittersphere and the internet was abuzz with word that Steve Kondik, Mr. 'Cyanogen' himself, was hired by Samsung. At first there was speculation that Samsung may be creating there own custom version of CyanogenMod, and there was also rumblings that Kondik was simply walking away from the Mod he helped create. But, it turns out, Kondik simply got a great job offer as a software engineer at Samsung, and will continue to work on CyanogenMod as a side-project. Here is a quote from Steve Kondik himself,
...it's a job and I'm glad that I can use what I learned from all this to do something cool in the real world :) I'll still be doing code review and some leadership for CM, but I'll be keeping it legit like always...I think we really broke away from the modding community. Most of us are professional engineers or in the field some way or another.
Let's congratulate Steve on proving that with hard work and commitment, the dream of turning a hobby into a career really can work! Share what you think this could mean for the popular mod in the forums.

Source: AndroidGuys

bplewis24

Reaction score
Things like this make Android bigger than just a smartphone operating system. When guys can go directly from the hacking/modding community to corporate jobs for the actual OEMs they're hacking/modding, it shows that they really do take notice. It may still be rare and extreme cases, and the voice may still only be a small one, but yeah...they notice.

Brandon

gemro311

Reaction score
Congradulations...hope you much success. Hope can do for us Samsung users as you did for the rooted users using CM

illmatic636

Reaction score
Glad someone broke through. It was definitely due for Steve K. Next in line, Motorola!!! Hire Peter Alfonzo!!!!!!:icon_ banana:dancedroid

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
All those people who say that the developer community is so small that the phone makers don't notice or care are continually proven wrong. First HTC acknowledging the vocal community and providing a solution to unlocking bootloaders, now Samsung hiring an actual developer. Amazing day for the hacking community and a great accomplishment.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
What if they hired him just to stuff him in a corner with 90 hours of paperwork a week so he could never work on CM again, haha

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering when a few of the OEM's would wake-up and hire some of these talented rom developers. Setting up their hardware/software to easily update or flash new roms, almost from the market even, both taps an underserved market and would ease some of the strain of supporting phones for 18 months and beyond. You have the carrier issue wanting these locked down, but how much muscle can VZW really move with Samsung? Both sides have leverage. If I were an OEM, in order to best serve my customers I would want to almost completely remove VZW (beyond making sure it works/compatability) from the equation as far as pushing updates.