Status of CM7

c_m_chance

Reaction score
I'm really wanting to use this ROM. However, it seems like there are tons of bugs with it by all the comments that people are making and all the "nightlys" that are being made (I'm not even sure what a nightly is, but it seems from what I gather that it is basically an update for the ROM). I'm hearing and seeing people talking about radio problems with the various signals such as 3G or wifi, etc.

My curiosity desires some more knowledge I suppose. If someone with some know about this has the time, could you explain a few things to me and help me decided whether to make this move or not? Here are the things I'm a bit curious about:

1. What exactly are "nightlys?"
  2. Do you have to flash CM7 or SBF it before you can install a nightly?
  3. Are the signal problems actually fixed yet or are they still lingering in the builds?
  4. Once I have CM7, if I wish to go back to stock or anything else, am I going to be able to? By SBF I would guess?

I can't really thing of anything else I have questions on right now. But this should get me in a better understanding of CM7.

Thanks in advance guys...and gals lol

TheJester34

Reaction score
I'm really wanting to use this ROM. However, it seems like there are tons of bugs with it by all the comments that people are making and all the "nightlys" that are being made (I'm not even sure what a nightly is, but it seems from what I gather that it is basically an update for the ROM). I'm hearing and seeing people talking about radio problems with the various signals such as 3G or wifi, etc.

My curiosity desires some more knowledge I suppose. If someone with some know about this has the time, could you explain a few things to me and help me decided whether to make this move or not? Here are the things I'm a bit curious about:

3. Are the signal problems actually fixed yet or are they still lingering in the builds?
  4. Once I have CM7, if I wish to go back to stock or anything else, am I going to be able to? By SBF I would guess?

I can't really thing of anything else I have questions on right now. But this should get me in a better understanding of CM7.

I'll try to answer these. Someone correct me if I mess one up.

1. Nightlies, from what I gather, are "pre-ROMs", if you will. Maybe a better term would be Alpha builds.
2. The nightlies are CM7. I assume you can flash one nightlie over another without SBF
3. Not sure on this one.
4. Since CM7 uses "2nd-init" (no idea) you have to SBF to go to another ROM

mr. vegas

Reaction score
CM7 is a froyo base and you don't need to SBF if you go to another rom on froyo, if you want gingerbread you will have to get back to stock froyo and flash the 2 part zip for gingerbread. You just flash the nighties right over the top of each other, with a davelik wipe or data wipe. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DJxPanda

Reaction score

Ok lets amswer these correctly.
1) a nightly is basically an update to the current version of the ROM. Its done every night by a computer that will compile code made by the devs and put it out into a format us users can use. It fixes bugs in previous builds but can bring new bugs into the picture.
2) Nightlies can be flashed over the current CM7 build with no need for a data/cache wipe. No need to sbf to install a nightly.
3) the things referring to radio issues you were hearing about were referring to the very first day CM7 was released for dx. P3 made a package that would install CM7 INITIALLY with out having to sbf back to froyo (which is the safest route). when people would go to flash the all in one package, it would hang on a part where the package would be patching the radio. Unless theres something new with the different connections, thats what it was referring to. Only other thing could be possible weak signal problems which have been fixed.
4) in order to get CM7 safely, you will need to sbf back to froyo stock unrooted first. Since CM7 is a Gingerbread ROM but is completely based upon and runninh on the froyo kernel, if you wish to move to say another froyo ROM, all you would need to do is data and cache wipe, and flash the new ROM over. If you want to go back to stock unrooted, sbf is always the best option. If you want to go to Gingerbread ANYTHING, you will need to sbf to froyo, and do what you need to to get where you want.

In terms of CM7 being buggy, currently its very very stable. just install the initial ROM with the sbf method, and then flash the most recent nightly over it and youll be golden.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:

gimlet72

Reaction score
I have had minimal issues with CM 7. they just also got a fix for the camcorder

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums