State Your Droid PRO'S & CON'S

netboy47

Reaction score
Tons of Pro's, and POTENTIAL.

Cons:
No way to shut off screen while charging (burn in).
Web page rendering could be improved, but load as fast as WiFi/3G allow - which is great.
Few GOOD Apps, although that will inevitably change.
No way to schedule turning on/off (great BB Feature that I miss).

Overall, quite pleased with the Droid overall, and a lot of this stuff is nitpicking.

Tapping the power button will turn off the screen even while charging.

Scheduling turning off works with the Locale app

What I keep finding is that for most issues, there already is a solution.:)

jimboman

Reaction score
Thanks, I stand corrected re power button and charging!

As far as auto on/off, this should be native function to the OS, and not an app that requires user inputs to define various non-relevant criteria (location, as an example). Again, nitpicking here but should be EASY to solve.

loboblanco

Reaction score
There is speed dial for voicemail access. Just go into phone and hold down the 1 key and it will dial your voicemail. You can also edit the number so that it adds your password in automatically every time you call.

netboy47

Reaction score
There is speed dial for voicemail access. Just go into phone and hold down the 1 key and it will dial your voicemail. You can also edit the number so that it adds your password in automatically every time you call.

Is there a way to program the other numbers besides the 1?

otaku

Reaction score
A big con for me is one that I haven't seen mentioned much: The volume rocker. It's way too sensitive. I am constantly changing the volume of my phone, and it's real annoying. Maybe with more practice I will get used to it.

Another con I haven't seen mentioned, and I could be wrong here, but I see no way of selecting text (not entered text) on a Web page or in an e-mail. For instance, if someone sends me a string of text to type in Google, or a link that didn't get formatted by the e-mail program as a link, or a tracking number, I can't select that text, copy it, and paste it into the browser! Drives me crazy! I loved how my old Blackberry tried to find things like phone numbers in e-mails and made them selectable so I could dial directly from an e-mail or other location, on the Droid I'd have to write down the number on a piece of paper, then go to the phone app and type it in. Wtf? Copy and paste of ALL text would be appreciated.

Those are the two major cons I haven't seen much mention of. Of course, as always, the camera needs work too.

otaku

Reaction score
Sorry, one more annoyance: For some reason, I seem to activate the search button constantly. Whenever I set the phone down, even if I am not consciously touching the button, I will feel the haptic vibration and then the phone will be in search mode. It's almost like my finger just slightly touches the side of the screen by the search button and activates search. Very annoying, and something I haven't seen mentioned much either (could just be my fat fingers).

loboblanco

Reaction score
No other speed dial numbers, but there's a much cooler way and that's simply putting a speed dial shortcut right on one of your home screens. I have the pictures of the 3 people I call and text the most on there and when you click their picture it comes up with a menu that let's me call, text or email them. I also have a direct dial shortcut for my home (with a picture of my house) that immediately dials the number since there is no text or email for my house phone.

nka

Reaction score
I hope battery technology catches up to Droids work load. the other part to this CON is a PRO, which is the battery can be switch with a full charged battery, iPhone can't.

Goggle search by voice command is awesome.

I would of like verizon's GPS technology instead of goggles

Cut and paste text, about time this was available.

This thread is young, i'm sure as time goes on with usage people like and dislike certain things.

cut and paste is already in the droid do a long hold on the screen
I have only been able to cut/paste buy a long hold on text boxes. In the Browser you have to either hit menu>more>select text, or on the physical keyboard you have 3 options: menu+e (equals select text), menu>more>select text, or Shift and drag your finger across the screen.

Have you been able to do a long hold on a non-text box and get the copy/paste function?

lowtech

Reaction score
I do love the Droid, but today I discoveded that I cannot search the Google Calendar! Coming from years of Datebk on Palms - one of the best calendars out there - I was missing the grest features on that app, but willing to let them go for all the positives of the Droid. However, being unable to find an upcoming appointment, especially under pressure from a client, is a very serious loss for me. I am amazed that the big dog among search engines, Google, has omited this basic search function!

loboblanco

Reaction score
Love the phone, 2 huge issues

I only have 3 complaints but two of them are huge and must be fixed if I'm going to stay with the Droid.

1. Too heavy in pocket. (minor complaint)

2. No ability to change the font size or zoom in when viewing emails (or texts). The email font is WAY too small. Blackberrys can change email fonts and font sizes and even $30 cell phones can change text fonts!

3. No ability to cut and past in emails. You can in the browser but not in an email.

These two things will hurt business customers.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
VM Speed dial

There is also a little icon on the phone that looks like the Geico money character (or a recorder). It is to the left of the green phone icon.

vm.jpg

lowtech

Reaction score
Followup: I have just downloaded Calendar Companion (Market) and now I can search the calendar. (Com'on Google... fix this please!)

I do love the Droid, but today I discoveded that I cannot search the Google Calendar! Coming from years of Datebk on Palms - one of the best calendars out there - I was missing the grest features on that app, but willing to let them go for all the positives of the Droid. However, being unable to find an upcoming appointment, especially under pressure from a client, is a very serious loss for me. I am amazed that the big dog among search engines, Google, has omited this basic search function!

nka

Reaction score
Cons:

Only Cons for now...There is a lot that I love about the Droid. However, here are my gripes that I believe if fixed, would vastly improve the Droid experience. I hope Google will watch this thread.

Cons:

Home Screen:

• Ability to switch placement of icons ala iPhone, instead of having to drag an icon to an empty space, and then move another icon into the freed up space.

• More home screens please. I like the folders, but 3 home screens isn't enough

• Landscape home-screen without the physical keyboard, and without having to activate DockRunner or some other third party app to do this

• Please don't lock my home-screen every time the display turns off. Have a timer set of 10 minutes or something before the phone locks.

• Please change the pattern security to a number keypad.

• Create an official application for one touch disabling of Wifi, GPS, 3G/2G, Bluetooth. We shouldn't have to rely on 3rd party developers for this and widgets that take up memory.
Voice search:

• I would assume the purpose of voice search is to make things hands free. When you say for example, Open Calendar, you are asked to click on the calendar you want to open. If you say call John Doe, you have to click on John Doe’s name. This defeats the purpose of Voice search. Instead a recording could say, ‘Did you mean call John Doe mobile’ and ask you to confirm this. If I’m driving, and using the Voice search, I cannot look down to click to confirm my search.

Folders:

• Folders should auto-close after a few seconds, or when you move to another home screen. As it stands, they stay open until you manually close them. They should also close once you click on a shortcut in the folder.

• Allow widgets to be placed inside of folders

• Stop folders from randomly rearranging my shortcuts. I have an order that I set them and I want them that way.
Media

Music application:

• The music/video functionality on this phone seem like an afterthought. The iPhone is a iPod first and an phone 2nd. The Droid is a phone with some ability to play music. The Music app needs a face-lift.

• Please give me the option to quit the music app, rather than having it take up memory in the background.

• Volume adjustment needed in music app, and not just on the side of the phone

Video application:

• Where is a built-in video app? I downloaded Meridian, but it does not have a polished look.

• Please allow me to play more media-types, .AVI, XVID, etc... more codecs are needed. We don't need to be gimped on video playback like the iPhone and force people to convert their videos just for use on their phones.

Camera:

• From what I have read, the camera itself is fine, but the software needs some serious work. Give me an option to turn enable/disable flash on the viewscreen and not in the more options settings.

• Please allow me to slide my fingers to switch photos ala iPhone, instead of clicking on the left or right arrow keys.

Browser:

• I don't want to see the zoom overlay each time I scroll down on the screen when I am trying to read an article. This is distracting. Pinch and zoom ala iPhone would be a welcome addition.

Copy/Paste:

• System-wide you should be able to do a press the screen and long-hold to bring up a copy and paste dialogue. The iPhone does an awesome job with this. The select text options in the browser is not practical. If you touch the wrong spot and miss a word that you wanted to include, you can't resize the field that you want to copy. On the iPhone there is a resizable bar that you can adjust.

• Please allow me to scroll down to select more text than is being viewed on the screen. I want to be able to select a whole passage and copy/paste into an email. I know that you could email a link, but I would like the option to copy/paste as much text as I want, and not be limited to what is on the screen.

Google Applications:

Gmail

• Presently, when receiving messages with multiple replies Gmail does not allow you to view the previous message in its entirety. This makes replying to forum posts like this one, by clicking on the link to the most recent post impossible in the Gmail app. The hyperlink is seen as truncated text and is not available to click. I have to go into the Browser and launch web-based Gmail to view the hyperlink. If you want to hide previously entered text then fine, but please give me the option via the Menu>More to view the whole message.

• Labels: I rarely add multiple labels at the same time to a message. Please give me a setting that allows me to click on a label to add it and not require me to click Ok after selecting the label.
Google Calendar:

• You can’t search the calendar
Google Voice:

• I would like to see a phone keypad in GV that equals the default Phone, but just dials out through Google Voice. GV Mobile on the iPhone does this. Also, I tried to add a contact from an sms in GV and it did not work,

Android applications:

Android Market:

• Please give me an option to Update All of my apps at once, rather than having to check if there is an update for each app.
  • Prevent non-2.0 apps from installing

• Where are the quality iPhone-like games? The screen is fantastic, yet all of the games look pixilated and don’t take advantage of the processor or the screen. This is less a Google complaint than a developer complaint.

• 10,000 Android apps verus 100,000 in the iPhone AppStore. Need I say more?
Facebook:

• I know this isn’t a Google issue, but the Facebook app needs serious work. No chat available, you can’t tag photos, and anytime you click on much of anything, you get sent to the Facebook mobile site in the Browser. This app shouldn’t have been released and pales in comparison to the iPhone model.
Phone app:

• When you hold down a contact in the Phone app, you should be able to call the default number, without having to go to another screen where you select what number you want to call. What is the point of having a default number if you have to select the number each time that you want to make a call?

• Speed dials please! I would like to be able to program 1 or two digit speed dials via the contacts, or holding the speed dial buttons and asking if you want to program a speed dial.

Applications install location

• Please allow us to install application to the SD card and not be limited to the built in 256 MB HD.

Last edited: