Sprint CEO Dan Hesse Says AT&T/T-Mobile Merger "Stifles Innovation" - Will Appeal

skidmarx

Reaction score
All this talk about stifling innovation, market share and competition is just noise. The real issue here is that T-Moblie was the one provider that took a stand against the invasion of privacy, Big Brother type BS that the other providers were more than happy to comply with. For this reason alone, the merger will be pushed through.

cptncoke

Reaction score
sprint butt still hurts from buy up Nextel and trying to flip it to a CDMA and now it just a lost in money for them.

tribbey

Reaction score
i think if it DOES happen att & t-mobile then sprint and VZW sould combine and then sprint wouldnt be left behind after all. not saying im right or this would be good but what else can they do if the att and t-mobile merge happens then also as a VZW customer i could also have more choice of phones like the evo or future phones that will blow away VZW phones. just a thought though and i dont know if this will be a good idea just stating what im thinking as of right now : )

jabo84

Reaction score
$39 billion....wow! Ive had tmo and they're not worth 2 cent...imo.

Reaction score
Who said that Sprint needs to lower their prices to compete? They are the lowest priced cell provider! My girlfriend pays 70 bucks for unlimited mobile to mobile, texting and data. My bill would easily double that on Verizon.

This merger would be a terrible blow to competitiveness, but I could see it going through if sprint were to be bought out by verizon.

If anything the act of ATT buying T Mobile was a swift move to cover lost ground from Verizon taking future iPhone market share, and wanting to remain the superior provider in terms of total customers. It seems like an attempt to save face in the long term, and as of now I just cant see Sprint staying along without eventually dwindling down, losing money, and being bought out by whichever of the Big Evils are the smallest.

AT&T has a history of growing to big for itself, branching off to prevent or in the face of government recourse, and then merging back with those branch offs when the market changes or regulations change. If we all recall, sbc global was initially a diverge of ATT which later bought ATT and took the name for branding and familiarity.

Just some food for thought,

Intel and AMD
ATI (AMD) and Nvidia
Apple and Windows
iOS and Android
And probably,
AT&T and Verizon Wireless.

You have the computer analogies spot on. Merging and consolidating an already tight market leads us down a real ****ty road. Lack in a variety of competition leads to over priced horse**** where an up and comer will not be able to get a foothold in a market as such. Sprint will slowly lose their base and get gobbled up by verizon. Im no fan of either three of these companies -given theyre all looking for ways to charge you more money (just like the govt)-. Sure I want technological gains just as much as the next guy, but none of these companies have attempted to make a viable cheaper option to crazy data plans and excessive voice packages.