Sprint Aplogizes for Tasteless 'ghetto' comment video Ad

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Though I have to admit T-Mobile is "ghetto", the way the ad was done was tasteless. They could have done a similar ad with a comedian and it would have been received better. The old saying "it's not what you say, it's how it was said" comes in to view here.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think people need thicker skin. Who's this offending? People who are "ghetto"? Given the "honest answer from real people" claim, I don't see how it's Sprint's fault that she said it in the first place and to me, the way she says it makes it seem like she's embarrassed or "sorry" that that's the first thing that popped into her head.

Idk. Maybe I'm missing something. If it was a racial/religious slur, I could see more of a reason why it might offend someone, but I don't see who this ad is meant to be offensive to other than T-mobile. Maybe their customers, I guess, but I wouldn't care. If I'm happy with T-mobile, I'm not thinking about switching to Sprint anyway, so they're not gonna get my money/support.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Someone didn't get a trophy for participation.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is one of those commercials that I think effects people differently depending on who you are. I for one am not pc, but I see how this commercial could rub someone the wrong way. Though Sprint did not tell that person to say that they are responsible for the commercial. At the end of the day Sprint and T-Mobile are in the same boat so Sprint calling T-Mobile ghetto is like the kettle calling the pot black.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
We are getting to be a society where saying or doing anything, even so minor as brushing up against someone's arm while boarding an elevator, whether intended to harm or not results in being blamed for some sort of microaggression. It may seem silly but it can ultimately result in either being sued or criminally prosecuted, not to mention public embarrassment and tainted reputations.

From Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microaggression_theory);

""Microaggression is a term coined by psychiatrist and Harvard University professor Chester M. Pierce in 1970 to describe insults and dismissals he regularly witnessed non-black Americans inflict on African Americans."

From there it's been expanded by another MIT professor to include "microaggressions” that come in the form of “microassaults” and “microinsults” and “microinvalidations".

It's gone so far as to have a college course and professor that says white girls shouldn't sing songs by Rhianna because they're "not from Barbados ".

U. of Oklahoma course: A white girl singing Rihanna is a 'microaggression' - The College Fix

Where does it end?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I honestly watched this commercial at the link & thought it reminded me of my buddies & I ribbing each other in good fun. I think it's kind of nice to see these companies have a more human personality.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Weird Tapatalk errors. Look at the avatars and member's names...

0310f6b079e68c56ea34d45670d34153.jpg
589a2364f993aa7baae2c84a8023b7e3.jpg
0ceb830d901f2ebb0b0ed486e275f34f.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Weird Tapatalk errors. Look at the avatars and member's names...

0310f6b079e68c56ea34d45670d34153.jpg
589a2364f993aa7baae2c84a8023b7e3.jpg
0ceb830d901f2ebb0b0ed486e275f34f.jpg

Haha! You're a trend setter. I see PC's show up on random people sometimes & have seen cases where it shows OLD avatars for people. Sajokaz looks nothing like his avatar IRL according to his old one.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Haha! You're a trend setter. I see PC's show up on random people sometimes & have seen cases where it shows OLD avatars for people. Sajokaz looks nothing like his avatar IRL according to his old one.

Why are you dragging me into this?

FYI: I have used the same avatar since the first day I joined DF. Not sure why there would be anything different for me.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

I even showed up on yours!
123adc478aeb6cb13da60caed156a78f.jpg

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Why are you dragging me into this?

FYI: I have used the same avatar since the first day I joined DF. Not sure why there would be anything different for me.

Can't say I've seen it in a while, but it's a guy. Maybe short, kinda salt & peppery hair that was originally black/dark. Maybe with a mustache? Stubble, I think either way.

Black T-shirt? Sitting in a chair. Maybe at a table?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So, are you now known as Jonny FoxKat?