Spot Connect for Android Helps You Stay Connected Virtually Anywhere

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Spot-Connect.jpg

Looking to go on an exotic vacation soon? ...maybe going cliff-diving in Peru, or exploring the Australian Outback, or animal-watching on an African Safari. But, you want to stay connected to family and friends, or even, (shudder) work. You don't have one of those expensive satellite-based phones and service... what to do? Spot Connect has you covered. This cool device doesn't allow voice calls, but it facilitates Twitter, Facebook, email and SMS messages from locations without cell service!

It does use an app so it requires a smartphone, and, for now, only Android has it. It definitely seems like a pretty nifty safety device for extremists who need to stay connected. It starts at $170 bucks, and it does require a minimum $100 dollar per/year subscription, which is still cheaper than a satellite phone with service.

It could save your life, which is pretty priceless... or... at least you can Tweet to your Mom while you're being eaten by that Bengal Tiger. Ahhh... what a cute kitty!

Source: findmespot
by dgstorm

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
It's a satellite provider, meaning I'm sure it requires a clear sky. Something that small probably doesn't have the technology to break through a wicked storm.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Though cool and useful for some, but when I go on vacation, I don't want facebook or anything else following me.

Big Ry

Reaction score
I thought if you made an emergency call (911), it would use satellite regardless. I was told this was like a law enacted around 2000 give or take a few years.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

DaWolf85

Reaction score
I thought if you made an emergency call (911), it would use satellite regardless. I was told this was like a law enacted around 2000 give or take a few years.

No, I think you're thinking of calls to 911 automatically sending the dispatchers your GPS location. I'm pretty sure that your phone would almost never lose reception if it could make calls through a satellite... :icon_eek:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

No, I think you're thinking of calls to 911 automatically sending the dispatchers your GPS location. I'm pretty sure that your phone would almost never lose reception if it could make calls through a satellite... :icon_eek:

Correct....Sat Phones are $$$$ I've had to rent them before.

But they have gotten cheaper....$63/wk + $1.69/min
Satellite Phone Rental $62.93 per week, all included; Iridium Satellite Phone rentals, Rent a Satellite Phone.

Big Ry

Reaction score

No, I definitely heard something about phones having the capability to make satellite calls, but strictly for emergencies. I dont know if this is definitely true, but Ive heard it before...years ago.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

No, I definitely heard something about phones having the capability to make satellite calls, but strictly for emergencies. I dont know if this is definitely true, but Ive heard it before...years ago.

I wish, but the fact is that if you have no bars, you have no connection to 911. Our phones arnt sat phones, that would require extra stuff on our phone, like an satellite capable antenna.

azules9780

Reaction score
He is correct to a point. I can't remember the year but there was a law enacted saying that any phone, not just cell phones can be picked up and used to dial 911. This supposedly works on phones that have been deactivated or have never been activated yet. It will give your location to 911 so that someone can be dispatched to you without you even saying anything. This all works with one caveat though. There has to be cell service saturating the area you are trying to make an emergency call from and it only works in the US. Go 20 miles into Mexico or Canada and it won't work there either.

Big Ry

Reaction score
He is correct to a point. I can't remember the year but there was a law enacted saying that any phone, not just cell phones can be picked up and used to dial 911. This supposedly works on phones that have been deactivated or have never been activated yet. It will give your location to 911 so that someone can be dispatched to you without you even saying anything. This all works with one caveat though. There has to be cell service saturating the area you are trying to make an emergency call from and it only works in the US. Go 20 miles into Mexico or Canada and it won't work there either.

Yeah, I don't know. Its been so long since I heard that, so it probably was a myth. But you're right about that next part. Any deactivated cell phone will still dial out for emergencies. I've actually accidentally done that lol :-O

azules9780

Reaction score
It was no myth. It really was a law enacted. I started building cell phone towers after that happened but a lot of the guys I worked with were doing cell work at that time and they talked about it.

silvervagon

Reaction score
It's a satellite provider, meaning I'm sure it requires a clear sky. Something that small probably doesn't have the technology to break through a wicked storm.

You don't need clear skies for satellite coverage. If you did, GPS would not be as widespread as it is...
It doesn't work really well under foliage or next to walls, though. I'm a land surveyor, so I have a little background with satellite reception.

drtnsnw

Reaction score
I have a spot and use it when I go snowmobiling or quading or hunting. The beauty of it is that it works where my phone wouldn't even think of working. My wife can watch our progress as we travel the back country. It is super cool for her and if we ever get into REAL trouble help is just a buutton push away!!

Can't see it really working on a cell

Chris

dbmorris

Reaction score

What you are talking about is a deactivated phone being able to make a cell call even if you don't have the phone activated (i.e. no cell plan). Not the same thing, apples and oranges. This device uses a satellite service like the original Spot Messenger did. I can assure you unequivocally that our phones will not communicate directly with a satellite, not directly like this device uses them for messages. No way, no how, no question. Not Not Not. Just wanted to be clear on that, wasn't trying to be a smart arse : )