Sporadic reboots

barreloffun

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a droid X which rocks, but sometimes it doesn't. occasionally my device reboots itself, in particular when I am in middle of a call. I have rooted using Z4 and have titanium backup. I recently had to dump half of my apps so that device would stop crashing and rebooting on me. This was happening even before I rooted. It seems to have its good days and its bad days. Today I think it only reboot about 6 maybe 7 times. It usually reboots itself around 10-12 times sometimes consecutively. I am wondering would a hard reset, which I have done before but not recently, help this or is my device faulty and I should go back to Verizon and get a replacement?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Potential causes: antivirus, task killers, auto memory managers, overclocked, bad SD card, using TiBU to restore system apps.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Potential causes: antivirus, task killers, auto memory managers, overclocked, bad SD card, using TiBU to restore system apps.

You forgot to include flawed hardware or an OS glitch, which I strongly suspect is the cause. It is becoming a fairly common issue with the DroidX, especially since the last update.

There appears to be no pattern or trend, and so far there is no real fix for it.

turdbogls

Reaction score
not sure if you are into romming or anything, but i would try another ROM. i havn't had a random reboot on GummyJar 2.5 for the couple months i have been running it. it is a pretty solid ROM.

but i suspect it is the stock kernel (what controls the CPU speed and voltage it runs at) too low a voltage will cause random reboots.

you may also want to check out jrummys droid x overclock, use the stock speed but up the voltage, this may help, but it may hurt your battery life.

if none of those work, get it back to stock by SBFing it, take it to verizon and get a new one.

Ivory

Reaction score
I've had this problem too. I was using a launcher that auto rotated the screen for me, which was really cool, but I started having stability problems. Worse than the crashing were times when it ran unusably slow (something in the background must have been hogging resources). I switched to standard launcher and went a week with no crashes, then switched back and the crashes returned. There may have been a coorelation between putting the phone in the car cradle (which does it's own rotation), but there may also have been a coorelation to using the charger.

I've unloaded the launcher and home switched, it's too soon for a conclusion, but so far so good.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I uninstalled Launcher Pro EX and we will see what happens.

Something is causing it, and all the resets and formats and cache clearing hasn't done squat except waste several hours of my time.

snapper915

Reaction score
I have flashed a rom and my phone want boot what did I do wrong.
Droid Inc

OP
B

barreloffun

Reaction score
"but i suspect it is the stock kernel (what controls the CPU speed and voltage it runs at) too low a voltage will cause random reboots."

what should the voltage be?

Also i do not know about ROM or overclocking my device any good tutorials?

I had previously deleted all spyware, task managers from my device. l found somewhere else that could have been the cause of course that didnt work.

The device seem to work alright now. It still reboots around 3 to 4 times a day when particularly when I take the device in and out of a USB connection from my computer or car charger. Also when I have an app open and leave the phone idle for a couple of minutes as im browsing the net then i stop to read a page and it reboots on me.

any suggestions?

Ivory

Reaction score
An easy test which may help

I am convinced that most of the problems people are having with reboots and slow downs are software related. I seriously doubt that flawed hardware is the culprit.

I am no longer plagued with frequent spontaneous reboots. I am still working on identifying the cause of some serious slow downs where something is obviously chewing up CPU cycles.

Since most of my apps are loaded on the SD card, I simply plugged my phone into the USB port. This takes the SD card offline on the phone and makes it available to the computer. (You may have to pull the battery and do this as part of the reboot.)

If your phone appears to behave normally with the USB connection, then goes bad again when you disconnect, you most likely have an app on your SD card that is causing the problem.

Apps are free to create and distribute, but they don't have the rigorous testing that the hardware goes through, and they aren't tested for compatibility with other apps by different vendors. Poorly written apps, or even well written apps contending with other apps is my best guess for the root cause of instability.

Then when you add rooted and rommed environments, there is always the possibility that something was modified but not as thoroughly tested as with the stock roms.