Speakerphone comes on automatically for every call

acejavelin

Reaction score
All the sudden earlier today, my HTC Incredible 2 just started automatically going into Speakerphone mode for every incoming and outgoing call and I can't get it to stop... I have had this issue a few times in the past but a reset or battery pull always fixed it, but for some reason that solution isn't working this time. The only change I made to the phone recently was uninstall Avast Antivirus this morning.

I have tried these things:

1) Reset phone (via power button option)
2) Battery pull reset
3) Verified Dock Mode is not set to Auto Start
4) Clean USB plug and verified no visible damage, short, or loose connector socket
5) Re-calibrated G-Sensor

Not really sure where to go from here, thinking the next step might be a hard reset to factory defaults but really not looking forward to that option, any ideas before I take that step?

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
Has been going on for several days now and nothing seems to help, tried two additional things:

- Disable "Flip for Speaker" function
- Booted phone in "Safe Mode"

Problem still happening... Anything else or I am going to have to do a hard Factory Reset?

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
Well, I did the factory reset and no change, except now the Dock mode started everytime I reset. Took it in to my local Verizon store and they factory defaulted it twice, couldn't do anything with and tried to get me a warranty replacement, but Verizon didn't have any so they called and said they have no DInc2's anywhere but instead they will replace it with a Samsung Stratosphere... not really sure how to feel about that, I only know one person that had one and they didn't really have anything good or bad to say about it.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
It appears to me the magnet sensor that detects car dock mode is either faulty or getting tripped.

When your phone is on a car dock with no headphones/auxiliary output it automatically goes onto speakerphone.

Do you have a wallet or phone case with a magnetic clip that it comes into contact to?

I would test this by inserting headphones and calling the phone.

If speakerphone is on turn it off and try it again with the headphones connected the whole time.

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
Good call, as that appears to be the case... with headphones connected it does not go to speakerphone mode at all so the dock sensor is the likely issue. Not really sure if that helps though, guess I could bang it around a little and try to knock it loose or find a magnet and see if I can get it to let go. Someone had told me that the "dock sensor" is actually a short on two pins of the USB plug, but the magnetic sensor makes more sense. Thanks!

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I looked around a little bit and apparently it is USB pins for the Incredible 2. In either case it does appear it's "stuck" in dock mode. Perhaps some Googling for that particular problem could yield some solution.

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
Yeah, tried that... pretty much discovered this is a hardware issue that, although not very common, a few people have had with various HTC phones. Since it is still under warranty, not much can be done since it seems to be hardware fault. If it was out of warranty, some people have had success disassembling it and fixing the short if it's obvious or just cutting the bad pin, but since mine is under warranty not going to try it.

I did try to call HTC directly today, sat in a queue for almost an hour and just gave up... I think I will just take the Stratosphere, and after I have verified it is solid, root it (seems easy with Samsung phones) and get rid of the VZW junk and I should be in good shape.

Had lots of HTC's over the years and had fairly decent luck until this one. Prior to this it had several minor annoyances that I just let pass, poor battery life (my son has the same phone, gets almost twice the battery life and he uses it more than I do), Bluetooth disconnect problems, low volume on speaker and with headphones, and what seems like more lockups than "normal", so maybe it's not such a bad deal... As long the VZW "Certified Like-New" Samsung replacement (From VZW directly and NOT from Asurion, Thank God!!!) is decent I am sure I can deal with it for 10 months until I am due for an upgrade.

nuke7171

Reaction score
Bent pin

Well, I did the factory reset and no change, except now the Dock mode started everytime I reset. Took it in to my local Verizon store and they factory defaulted it twice, couldn't do anything with and tried to get me a warranty replacement, but Verizon didn't have any so they called and said they have no DInc2's anywhere but instead they will replace it with a Samsung Stratosphere... not really sure how to feel about that, I only know one person that had one and they didn't really have anything good or bad to say about it.

Mine did the same thing and showed error of wrong charger and stuck in dock mode.

The charger plug got plugged in upside down and slightly bent the pin.

Very slightly take a knife and bend the pin up, it is shorting out making the phone thing its in dock mode.

Then plug the charger into the phone and using the plug bend it forward a little.

Your problems should go away.