Speak Incoming SMS?

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to hear incoming SMS messages (full message, not just an alert) while I'm driving - setup as a smart action when I connect my bluetooth, a simple on/off widget, notification bar toggle, etc. I tried Vlingo In-Car Beta, and it worked for a while but now it crashes all the time and I uninstalled it. I tried the Assistant App a couple times for a couple different reasons, and uninstalled it.

I'm using Handcent SMS. I see there's an option under Settings for Speech, but that seems a little cumbersome to go in and toggle that all the time. And I've found a lot of text to voice apps that simply replace Google's default voice. But I care more about toggling it on/off than I care about what it sounds like.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Glad to see you found drive safely.. that's what I was going to suggest :) hope it does what you need it too. :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Ive never tried skyvi while driving but it does read messages to you

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

OP
PurpleSunday

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried skyvi too. I didn't like "her" either. I forget why.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I didnt like it because it was creepy, i told it i was going to uninstall her and it said "it will be harder than that to get rid of me"

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow drew... lmao

FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!! :lifting::icon_censored: feel it....Feel IT!!! FEEL IIIIIIIIIT!!!!:biggrin:

OP
PurpleSunday

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
I've tried both DriveSafe.ly and SMS Reader and I can't get either one to speak my texts. Vlingo was working for a while, but then it kept crashing and stopped speaking my texts too. So somewhere along the way I must've messed up a setting in Handcent and/or my system settings. I'm a little confused about the first option in Handcent Speech Settings - Use Google text-to-speech service or Use Eyes-Free text-to-speech service. But I've tried both options and I haven't had any luck with either option. Any ideas???

OP
PurpleSunday

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
I finally got to the bottom of it. I uninstalled Handcent (to reset all the settings back to default), and started over again testing various settings along the way. Under Application Settings, the Default Message Application option has to be disabled. A while back I remember switching that option to All - which I've since learned completely blocks other apps, including TTS services. Vlingo now works. FYI - I read some other threads that said TTS Type has to be unchecked, but right now I have it checked and it's working just fine.

Hopefully I won't have any creepy experiences with Vlingo like Drew had with Skyvi. :icon_eek: