Multiple notifications w/ Handcent SMS, chomp SMS, etc.

tempo

Reaction score
This is but a minor annoyance, but when you've got multiple alternate SMS clients installed (I'm currently playing with both Handcent SMS and chomp SMS), you get multiple new message alerts in the notifications bar.

If I commit to one of these alternate clients, would I then uninstall the default SMS client? Or can it be disabled?

big_poppa

Reaction score
You can't delete the stock messaging app just yet... simply go into the stock app's settings and disable all notifications. Your handcent/chomp notifications will still be going strong.

kmo

Reaction score
Yea, I couldn't take the duplicates either so as much as I liked the customizable features of Handcent I just dumped it. It's just too redundant, the point is to do less key strokes not add more.

Seeko

Reaction score
Yea, I couldn't take the duplicates either so as much as I liked the customizable features of Handcent I just dumped it. It's just too redundant, the point is to do less key strokes not add more.

Makes sense considering you would have to go in and keep deleting all the old messages.

OP
T

tempo

Reaction score

Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but don't all the alt. SMS clients effectively share the same inbox? Ergo, if you read the message in Handcent it's already marked read if you switch to the default client. Other than the initial notification (which I just turned off in the default client--duh, thanks for the suggestion), I don't think there's an overall duplication of effort. Or maybe I'm just missing something...

kmo

Reaction score
For me just don't see the point in a duplicate app, more space taken up within the phones memory and even though I unchecked everything in the stock program I still received the number icon over my "message" icon desktop that I had to manually delete. That's where the extra step is and annoying for me, I don't need redundancy in my phones functionality.

Robo-dRoid

Reaction score
add message shortcut, click on it, menu button , settings, and disable recieve message alert worked for me

kmo

Reaction score
add message shortcut, click on it, menu button , settings, and disable recieve message alert worked for me

Not sure what this means? Any options I've tried I still got the number icon on my message icon too... I basically deleted everything in the stock app. Anyway, no big deal. It was nice to have the customizable handcent but I figure eventually there will be a program that will work the way I want it to. I wish the stock app had a bit more options to customize.

OP
T

tempo

Reaction score
Huh, I had to install SMS Unread Count to get an unread count on my desktop icon.

But still, that counter is consistent irregardless of what SMS client if I use read the message.

If I receive 3 messages, and read the first one in the native client, the unread count decrements to 2. I read the second message using Handcent, the unread count decrements to 1. Etc.

I'm liking Handcent best so far.

Last edited: