Sound issue with Android device

Stereoburn

Reaction score
Okay, guys, so I have this Chinese Android phone, called Gionee Elife E3. It works like a charm, however recently I bought some new, quite expensive pair of headsets with built-in microphone. When I plugged them to listen to music, I noticed that the sound is very strange, bad, like coming from a cave.
I tried it on other Android devices and it works perfect, but on mine it sounds the same on both Google Play, Soundcloud, Youtube, you name it - same shi**y sound. Then by some mistake I pressed the microphone button, holding it and the sound came right, but when I let it go, it went back to crap.
I've been searching Google but could not find any solution to my problem, so I would really appreciate your suggestions. I am using Android 4.2.1 if that matters.
Many thanks in advance!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried playing with the equalizer settings in your music player?

Does the device have anything in the main settings menu for Accessories, or anything for an equalizer or other settings for headphones in the Sound section?

What was the other android phone that they worked fine on?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure we cover all the bases.

OP
S

Stereoburn

Reaction score
Thanks for stepping in! I tried it on Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, also on an old HTC (do not recall the model name). I played with the equalizer settings of Google Play (what I use most of the time) but it is not up to those as it is working equally bad with Soundcloud, Youtube and all possible music sources. My phone has no settings for accessories. It has sound options but those are for the ringtones.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well crap. There go all of the easy answers...Have you compared a cheaper/older pair of headphones in your phone vs. in one of those other phones as well? Obviously the issue is your phone, but I'm wondering if it's hardware or software related.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sounds like the button may be the culprit... I may be wrong...

OP
S

Stereoburn

Reaction score
Works fine with headsets without a mic. Also, I have tried a different pair with built-in mic and same issue appears.
My personal explanation is the brand - apparently they are not supporting the android system properly (they don't have support page and don't provide OS software update). So when the headset is communicating with the phone system, the system takes it as if I am not using the headset for music but calls. Why otherwise this button works that way - proper usage of it would be to pause or play a new song. My last resort would be to tape the mic part so the button stays pushed all the time and not use it for calls. I am only afraid if that would harm the headset.