Sould i get the droid?

koralyne

Reaction score
Get the Droid and don't look back; nothing can beat it! Chicks dig Droid dudes....:icon_ lala:

Dont forget, dudes dig droid chicks ;D

i guess... *thinks*

Edit: oh yeah, the topic.

Im getting my droid on friday, and i can tell you already, that this phone is the absolute best phone for a techie person. If you like to completly and utterly customize your phone, then the droid is for you.

i'd hate to take something from apples mouth, but, if you can think of something, theres probably an app for it.

For starters, shoot me a PM if you wanna get some app ideas. =]

Edit2: this phone starts out with the bare basics. EVERYTHING is all about the apps. You gotta get apps for it. And even thenso, you gotta get apps to replace the stock programs. such as handcent instead of the stock sms program, and dolphin instead of the stock browser, stuff like that. just remember the phone is majorly app oriented. (and most apps are free, or have a free version.)

smokiedabong

Reaction score
My previous phone was an Omnia 2 , it has better built quality than the Droid , better camera , speakers and voice quality , nicer screen and if you like WM like I do , it'll keep you busy for days hacking stuff . The thing that made me switch to Droid was the constant lag and freezing of WM , the Droid is way faster and definitely the phone to choose nowadays .

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
-is it really worth it?
It doesn't matter what you're asking about. No one can tell you if it's worth it to you. That's a judgment call that you need to make based on the info out there and trying it out yourself.

-is it good for a 16 yr old guy to have?
You'll have to clarify what you mean. As far as I know, 16 year old guys aren't all identical clones.

can anyone tell me some pros and cons of the droid, and if you guys know any good websites about this phone it would be greatly appreciated!
This is an excellent site for info. Definitely make use of it. The info's out there already. You just need to take some initiative. Personally, I don't find other people's comparisons all that useful since their biases may not be in line with my own so I don't rely on them and can't point you to any. I generally assess each device on its own merits. Manufacturer sites, the gadget sites (Gizmodo, HoFo, etc) and forum sites are the tools I typically use to assess new devices.

Don't underestimate checking them out in person as well. It's not about finding "the best" device out there. It's all about finding the one best suited for you.

*sorry, if there's a post on this. im new and i couldnt find anywhere on this forum about information on this phone. Thanks! :greendroid:
Uh, yer doin it wrong if you can't find info on the Droid. Read the various subforums.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
I will try and provide an objective opinion based on some of what you said in your original post. Although I love my Droid and recommend it constantly, do keep in mind it's vanilla Android OS. So as others pointed out you'll likely have to download apps to make the phone just right for you, which IMHO is the beauty of this device. You said you're not very patient, but there is a slight learning curve to the Droid so also take that into consideration. You also mentioned facebook and texting. The Droid does both just fine, but phones like the Eris and Devour have social networking baked in using Sense and Motoblur, respectively. That said, neither of these compare to the Droid in terms of power, screen size/resolution and customization. Also the Droid has a physical keyboard (with mixed reviews, I've gotten use to it).

korp

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new to this forum and i just signed up today

Next week ill be switching my phone from the LG Dare, which i personally thought it was a $#%# phone. Whenver i would send pix/flix texts, it lagged so much and the texting was so bad. I hated the keyboard... I'm 16(just turned 16 this feb lol) and i dont have much patience(?) lol. I get/send lots of texts and i go on the internet often to check my facebook and stuff. I also like going on youtube a lot, but the quality of it SUCKS!

so, i was thinking of getting the Droid or the Omnia II, but im more towards the droid.
-is it really worth it?
-hows the internet speed, facebook, youtube quality?
-hows the texting?

can anyone tell me some pros and cons of the droid, and if you guys know any good websites about this phone it would be greatly appreciated! i checked other webs too but i wanted to hear it from you guys.

Also, i heard there's a special promotion from verizon, buy a droid and get one free. Is this true?? :eek: I dont really need two phones so can i just get 1 for half the price?
Is there actually a special reason for this? like maybe an even better phone than the droid coming out in the next few months???

*sorry, if there's a post on this. im new and i couldnt find anywhere on this forum about information on this phone. Thanks! :greendroid:
-is it really worth it?
I love my Droid and I believe it is.

-hows the internet speed, facebook, youtube quality?
Well it runs on 3G so basically the internet speed is similar on all these phones but it renders webpages pretty quickly. Youtube videos look great.

-hows the texting?
The physical keyboard might take a second to get use to but it works great.

Well, chances are you won't get the most out of email and calendar use which are big reasons for having a smartphone. I say this because only being 16 I know your looking more at games/facebook type stuff. If you get it you are going to be way ahead of your friends in the technology game.

I doubt they have a bogo (buy one get one) on Droids. What I remember was buy a Droid or Droid Eris and get an ERIS free .... but you have to sign them both up for two year contracts.

The Nexus One is coming to Verizon this spring and I think there is another one about to be released.

mrragamufin773

Reaction score
easily the best phone out right now. the only thing you will regret is not getting the phone lol.