Sony Unveils Playstation Suite for Android Phones - Coming Later This Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sony_logo.jpg

This morning Sony held a developers and investors meeting in Tokyo. Engadget was there with a live blog-cast, and during the event Sony "spilled the beans" about several of their strategic initiatives for the future, especially as they relate to portable gaming and smartphones. Specifically they revealed plans to release a "PlayStation Suite" and the PlayStation Store to Android smartphones. Here are a few highlights quoted directly from the blog:
6:20AM "These phone devices are finally technically ready for PSP-like performance."
6:21AM "Today we are announcing PlayStation Suite."
6:22AM Cross Platform, Cross Device. For Android phones and tablets.
6:22AM "A new development framework for the development of entirely new content."
6:23AM "We will first emulate the first generation PS (corrected by original source) titles to be available on PS Suite devices."
6:25AM Sony will also launch PlayStation Store for Android devices.
6:26AM "We envision PlayStation Suite as an initiative that is essential to the world of portable entertainment."
6:28AM PlayStation Suite is due to be available by the end of this calendar year.
We are finally seeing a big company like Sony strategically target portable gaming on smartphones, and specifically Android. For all those portable gamers out there, we are here to see the beginning of convergence between portable gaming and smartphone technology. The ball is now rolling, and it's only a matter of time. How many of you guys think this is pretty exciting news?

Source: Engadget
Thanks to my tipster!

Last edited:

gmorgan056

Reaction score
I think it's pretty exciting stuff. Though i'm more of an xbox guy then playstation. maybe i should get a windows phone? lol

gmorgan056

Reaction score

TheHow7zer

Reaction score
Hey dgstorm,
I think Engadget corrected themselves later and said first gen PS title, not PSP titles. But I could be wrong.

dankish

Reaction score
I can't wait! This is incredible news! What kind of hardware is the PSP packing? I know, I can Google it, but it's more entertaining to keep the discussion rolling here. Are some of the newer phones more powerful than a PSP? I wonder if a PSP racing game ported over will look better than a Gameloft one, such as GT Racing or Asphalt? Actually, I think Need For Speed: Shift has about the best graphics of all Android racing games, you fellas agree?
I'm also anxious to know how much games are going to cost, the purchase methods, the return policy (I doubt it'll be like the Market), etc.
I imagine they are going to have to make several versions of each game to support the multitude of phones capabilities, such as what Gameloft does.
I bet this is going to be a big ticket item for piracy as well, unfortunately.
I hope the days go by fast as hell for me until this is released! I'm really excited to play these and I'm not even a Playstation fan! I'm a devoted Xbox fan! :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

dankish

Reaction score
Hey dgstorm,
I think Engadget corrected themselves later and said first gen PS title, not PSP titles. But I could be wrong.

Hmm, aren't PSP graphics more advanced than PS1? I've never played on a PSP, but they look more vivid & crisp from the screenshots I've seen. They also don't seem to have them jagged lines that games on PS1 have. I may be wrong, though.

TheHow7zer

Reaction score
Hmm, aren't PSP graphics more advanced than PS1? I've never played on a PSP, but they look more vivid & crisp from the screenshots I've seen. They also don't seem to have them jagged lines that games on PS1 have. I may be wrong, though.

That's my point :)

But yeah, the psp2 Aka Next Gen Portable aka NGP has quad cores and quad gpu's
5 inch touch screen
and tons of other stuff (Sony's next PSP, codenamed NGP -- Engadget) , so I am going to go out on a limb here and say that it is a whole lot more powerful than any current cell phones!