Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Officially Coming to Verizon - Probably in 3 Months

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe the best prospect for this is Sony tightly integrating the PS3 with Android. Although since they killed Linux on the PS3 can't imagine we'll ever get much more than some PS3 apps for Android.

knighthonor

Reaction score
I cant edit post.

Does this thing have a FFC?

400 megabytes of internal memory? <---------!!!!!?????
Thunderbolt has 768 MB <---------!!!!!

Why get this over the NGP? dont see a point.

All it take is Window Phone to come out with a controller phone, and boom, thats it for the Sony play Phone's top feature.

do you expect Developers to invest in this phone. a Rooted phone can take anything.

MWC 2011: Sony Ericsson overview - GSMArena.com

here a video preview.

NeoLogic

Reaction score
I cant edit post.

Does this thing have a FFC?

400 megabytes of internal memory? <---------!!!!!?????
Thunderbolt has 768 MB <---------!!!!!

Why get this over the NGP? dont see a point.

All it take is Window Phone to come out with a controller phone, and boom, thats it for the Sony play Phone's top feature.

do you expect Developers to invest in this phone. a Rooted phone can take anything.

MWC 2011: Sony Ericsson overview - GSMArena.com

here a video preview.

Yes it does have an ffc.
About the 400mb of memory. You have Ram and Rom. The Play has 512mb of Ram like the DroidX. The spec sheet says it has 400mb of Rom, but honestly I feel that's a typo. If it's only 400mb of rom, that's a deal breaker for me and about everyone who would use this phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

NeoLogic

Reaction score
Also, about this phone being underpowered.. Sony is not stupid. They know a portable gaming device is worthless if it's battery life is not that good. I feel the choice of a 4 inch screen (which really isn't THAT small), single core processor (45nm to boot), and the Adreno, is an awesome combo. I'm hearing reports of amazing battery life for this device. Having a huge powerhouse of a mobile device isn't always great thing.

Besides, 60fps is 60fps. I don't see the need for dualcore on a gaming device. Dualcore and massive amounts of memory really only shine in multitasking environments. I don't know about you, but I can only play one game at a time, and read one email at a time. It's not like I'm encoding movies, working in photoshop, and burning dvds on my phone at the same time. Oh wait, that's what my computer is for. And with a price tag of $400, that's winner winner chicken dinner for me.

UNC

Reaction score
Its a shame this thing isn't LTE... i'd definitely buy one.

Downloading .isos and playing online will be a chore over 3g!

And to the guy comparing this to the NGP... the NGP has a Quad-core processor... just because they can (maybe) port down ps3 games for it, means absolutely nothing to the SE Xperia Play.

NeoLogic

Reaction score
Wish I could edit my post darn it. Lol. Anyway, here is a quote from Geohot.

"I do take this whole matter very seriously. Again, it&rsquo;s not about me, I was on the verge of quitting this stuff last June, and I would hate to be the one who sets a reputation for hackers that all a company has to do is sue us and we back down. In fact, I want the opposite reputation set, that the more a company tries to abuse the legal system, the harder we rally back. I will be the first person in line on the launch date of the Xperia Play, and itching to get my hands on the Next GEOHOT Project."