Sony Announces New Android 4.0 Walkman

Edognights

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
walkman.jpeg

Earlier today Sony announced a new Android based Walkman mp3 player called the F800. The Walkman F800 will run Android 4.0 and is packed with a dual-core Nvidia Tegra 2 processor, a 3.5 inch multi-touch display, and an S-Master digital amplifier for improved audio quality. The F800 is expected to arrive in August and will cost $269.99 for the 16Gb version and $299.99 for the 32Gb model. Sony also announced a new E-series Walkman called the E470 which will be the thinnest Walkman yet at 7.0mm. The E470 is also expected in August and will be offered in 4Gb, 8Gb, and 16Gb variants for $79.99, $89.99, and $109.99 respectively. Check out Sony's full press release here, and let us know what you think in the forums.

Source: Phandroid

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
HECK YEAH!!!!!! It's about time!!!!

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Wow, I wish I'd known about this $270 single-purpose thing before I paid $200 for my Android phone, which plays music AND videos, AND games, AND runs apps, AND takes photos, AND sends texts, AND makes calls, AND surfs the web...
Seriously, I am not seeing the point of this device.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
It's not a single-purpose device. It's essentially an Android phone without the phone capabilities. Kinda like what Apple did with their iPhone. They made an iPod with phone capabilities. Sony just pulled a "vice-versa." I'm glad they did. Now I can sell my iPod touch and be full Android. :)

JRParsons

Reaction score
Samsung has been selling an Android non phone device for at least a few months. Apparently as a direct competitor to the ipod touch.
All three of these devices are smartphones without the phone.
They are like little wifi tablets. I think they are great for kids, who want the apps/games/texting etc. Without a phone contract/bill.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
Always good to see products like this. Would've been nice to have 4 in screen to go with that Tegra 2 chip set. I hope they are extremely successful with this too.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Same as for iProducts.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
I would look into it if it was small light and dependable. Or durable. That's the one thing I give props to my wife classic iPod and my iPod nano 2nd Gen thing is solid and still works well after like 10 years of my abuse.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
PereDroid said:
is there really a market for this?

Yeah theirs definitely a market for those who exercise on a regular. Having a second device that doesn't drain your mode of communication just for music is great. If that's not you then don't worry about it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
is there really a market for this?
There is and always will be a market for these types of devices. And as long as Apple has the iPod Touch we'll see more of these media devices from other manufacturers.

sb1831

Reaction score
Thank God there hasnt been a good mp3 player alternative to the ipod since creative went down hill

jgmecarter

Reaction score
JRParsons said:
Samsung has been selling an Android non phone device for at least a few months. Apparently as a direct competitor to the ipod touch.
All three of these devices are smartphones without the phone.
They are like little wifi tablets. I think they are great for kids, who want the apps/games/texting etc. Without a phone contract/bill.

I got my 8 year old daughter the Samsung galaxy player 5.0 for her birthday in June. She loves it and the 5 inch screen is nice to watch netflix on. My 17 year old daughter said that she wants to trade her iPod for one

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I'm sold if this thing has a good DAC, supports amps/line out via USB, and has good battery life.

The only foreseeable problem would be getting past airport security with it and an amp.:laugh: