Something I noticed..

shamus

Reaction score
I believe in the proximity sensor there is a light sensor of sorts.
When it's bright, the hard keys do not light. When it's dark, they do light.

lfegerber

Reaction score
It's the proximity light sensor. It is located above the motorola logo on the top edge of your phone, to the right of where your ear piece speaker is. If you try putting your finger over it, it will cause the hard buttons to light up

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ok now I know its not my super powers making this happen.. it appears if your batter is below 50% or 40% and you wave your hand or walk in front of your phone this happens. I tried it twice again, and same results. So its definitely a power saving feature. I had my phone plugged in both times, I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I'm guessing not, as it would only seem logical that you would want to save your battery power more, more when its not plugged iit. I'll try and get a video of it next time... but this was 4 30 this morning and didn't think of recording anything... lol

JimmyGT

Reaction score
It doesn't have anything to do with the battery level. My battery is fully charged (unplugged) and when I put my hand over the sensor, the keys light up because there is less light hitting the sensor. The key backlight only turns on when it's darker.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
It doesn't have anything to do with the battery level. My battery is fully charged (unplugged) and when I put my hand over the sensor, the keys light up because there is less light hitting the sensor. The key backlight only turns on when it's darker.

I think we both might be right, because I just did as you described and sure enough the lights come on, and then go off when I move my hand away. But when its fully charged or has a higher charge, the lights stay on.

Oxymoron

Reaction score
It's the proximity light sensor. It is located above the motorola logo on the top edge of your phone, to the right of where your ear piece speaker is. If you try putting your finger over it, it will cause the hard buttons to light up

Yep, my OG does this also. Motorola, quality engineering.

*customized tapatalk signature*

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Yea I know its the proximity sensor, we are just trying to figure out if there is a difference of it when the lights stay on all the time when the battery is charged and go off with a lower battery level. As Jimmy pointed out, if you cover the sensor the lights do come on. The staying on part is what I'm unsure what triggers that even if there is plenty of light. As I mentioned, I had plenty of light when I first noticed this, but when battery dropped below 50% the lights would come on if I waved my hand in front of it, then go off after a few seconds.

Oxymoron

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. I just wanted to chime in and say I think Motorola makes great products. It's impressive that even my old OG has this function.

Sorry to interrupt, carry on with the experiments. That's one of the best things about getting a new phone, finding out all of the cool little nuggets it has. Have fun! :)

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Yeah, I know. I just wanted to chime in and say I think Motorola makes great products. It's impressive that even my old OG has this function.

Sorry to interrupt, carry on with the experiments. That's one of the best things about getting a new phone, finding out all of the cool little nuggets it has. Have fun! :)

lol you didn't interrupt, participation is a big part of the forums, never be sorry for posting your opinions.. :)

Funky145

Reaction score
I'm at 70% battery right now and when I unlock my Droid, in a fully lit office, the lights are off. If I hold my finger over the sensor, the lights come on. I'll pay closer attention when I see them start to "flicker" to see if anything is affecting the sensor.

Thanks for the info guys!