some noob questions, help please

ollie00

Reaction score
first off this place is great. i have been reading a lot of these posts and my head is spinning. Too much great information, if that is possible? Is it bad to want to root my phone after having it for 4 days and im not sure exactly why? Anyway, i just have a few questions which i know are very basic but i am very overwhelmed. thanks ahead of time for putting up with the questions,

i downloaded a new sms/mms app (handcent), but both apps come up now when i receive a message. how do i undo the stock mms app?

as far as media players go, i have been used to itunes. do i just plug in my phone, add music to the sd card? is there a certain media player and a file manager that is standard? favorites of users?

is there a way to get rid of the preloaded apps without rooting your phone?

not a huge fan of the preloaded ringtones/notifications or the apps with ringtone songs, basically, i just want the classic ring and basic notification beeps (like bb)? suggested app?

I know these are very boring and probably not the right place to post them but i would appreciate any help. thanks a lot

KHeeney5

Reaction score
first off this place is great. i have been reading a lot of these posts and my head is spinning. Too much great information, if that is possible? Is it bad to want to root my phone after having it for 4 days and im not sure exactly why? Anyway, i just have a few questions which i know are very basic but i am very overwhelmed. thanks ahead of time for putting up with the questions,

i downloaded a new sms/mms app (handcent), but both apps come up now when i receive a message. how do i undo the stock mms app?

as far as media players go, i have been used to itunes. do i just plug in my phone, add music to the sd card? is there a certain media player and a file manager that is standard? favorites of users?

is there a way to get rid of the preloaded apps without rooting your phone?

not a huge fan of the preloaded ringtones/notifications or the apps with ringtone songs, basically, i just want the classic ring and basic notification beeps (like bb)? suggested app?

I know these are very boring and probably not the right place to post them but i would appreciate any help. thanks a lot

I use PowerAmp and Mixzing... I just have a folder called "Music" on my SD card. Drag all my iTunes music into it. Note that the X or any other non apple device will not play DRM protected music.

Arbor12

Reaction score
For the texting issue you have to turn off the notifications for the stock texting app,then u will only get the handcent notifications and as for music I use power amp and isync to sync my itunes.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
O

ollie00

Reaction score
For the texting issue you have to turn off the notifications for the stock texting app,then u will only get the handcent notifications and as for music I use power amp and isync to sync my itunes.

thanks. how exactly do i do that? And Is it worth it to buy the power amp or will the free one work just fine?

timrock

Reaction score

thanks. how exactly do i do that? And Is it worth it to buy the power amp or will the free one work just fine?
go into Messaging, text Messaging and bring up the menu. click message settings and uncheck the notification option.

i also user poweramp and love it. i purchased it some time ago, so im not sure of the difference between the paid and unpaid version. but believe me, its worth paying for.

timrock

Reaction score
oh, and there is no way to get rid of the pre installed apps without rooting.