Some help me with this root process im so confused

movadoevo8

Reaction score
I want to do "ESE81 Completely Stock With Proper Root, SU, & Baseband"

I heard what that does it let's me go back to 2.0.1 from my ota 2.1 that i'm currently running 100% complete stock.

I never rooted before, but i'm very computer savy i'm an IT guy. When i go here http://alldroid.org/threads/16669-ESE81-Completely-Stock-With-Proper-Root-SU-amp-Baseband It tells you to download certain files and to use SPRecover or Clockworkmod, the problem is i have no clue where I can get that.. Can someone put together a complete step by step instructions how to root this way the way PETE mentioned.

The only problem with his post it's more for an advance user who has rooted before and flashed roms before, someone like myself is like "huh! huh!" confused and feel like such a noob because there is a bunch of steps missing.

If someone could put together an instruction step by step i would greatly appreciate it. I'm sure there are other people that have never rooted and are afraid to do it as well. My purpose to ROOT is so i can continue to run 2.1 like the OTA like I am now, but just over clock my phone to at least 800mhz or 1ghz. Thanks in advanced.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good post. We know where you are and where you want to end up.

I think an easy thread is the 3rd one in my sig, but I did write it so that makes it easier for me to understand.
icon12.gif

Give that a read-through and post any questions you might have. To get the overclocked kernel you will need to install a kernel and get an app from the market such as SetCPU. Those things aren't covered in that link. Installing SPRecovery is though.

OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score

I think an easy thread is the 3rd one in my sig, but I did write it so that makes it easier for me to understand.
icon12.gif

Give that a read-through and post any questions you might have. To get the overclocked kernel you will need to install a kernel and get an app from the market such as SetCPU. Those things aren't covered in that link. Installing SPRecovery is though.

Thanks a lot I will attempt it tomorrow.

OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score

icon12.gif

Ok your instructions worked and i was able to root 2.1 and it know says 2.1 by pete and also i have the super user premission icon. Now that i'm rooted i can use ROM Manager from market to install ROMS ? I need to install a ROM in order to over clock right?

Installing a ROM = same as a KERNEL ? does it mean the same thing? Or me having petes 2.1 rooted is the ROM and i need to install a KERNEL? Where can i download one and install it how do i do it? Thanks.

OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score

icon12.gif

Hey I went back to my pc and I rooted and it worked. Then I downloaded chevys 5.6:2 kernel and download setcpu from the market and am now rooted with stock 2.1 by pete and overclocked to 1ghz. What a difference that I even installed helix2 and removed helix1 bc its so fast now. If I use helix1 its lightning fast, but helix2 still fas as heck at 1ghz so I'm using helix2 bc of the 3d app drawer and apple like icon dock station.

Also what's this baseband thing I've been reading about) I have not changed it at least I don't think I did, does it matter? How important is it?

Sorry about my spelling its 2;10am and half asleep posting from my droid phone.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
rom <> kernel.

Sort of like this, or close enough anyways:
kernel = underlying os. ie: windows 95,98,xp,vista,etc It interfaces with the hardware
Rom= the gui, programs, etc that run on top of the kernel.

I see you did some research too, and got overclocked, congrats!

Here are some kernels, and there are others out here you can search for: [Release] Smoked Glass Boots *Updated 03/08* (ALL Builds/Voltages - 42 Kernels)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ch...s-low-voltage-medium-voltage-3-25-2010-a.html

The ese81 rooted rom is just that, the stock rom, plus the ability to overwrite any file you want, for better or worse. No oc'ing of the kernel....which you know now.

Visit the rom section here. Read the feature list for each one along with its install. Many roms come with oc'able kernels.

OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score
rom <> kernel.

Sort of like this, or close enough anyways:
kernel = underlying os. ie: windows 95,98,xp,vista,etc It interfaces with the hardware
Rom= the gui, programs, etc that run on top of the kernel.

I see you did some research too, and got overclocked, congrats!

Here are some kernels, and there are others out here you can search for: [Release] Smoked Glass Boots *Updated 03/08* (ALL Builds/Voltages - 42 Kernels)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ch...s-low-voltage-medium-voltage-3-25-2010-a.html

The ese81 rooted rom is just that, the stock rom, plus the ability to overwrite any file you want, for better or worse. No oc'ing of the kernel....which you know now.

Visit the rom section here. Read the feature list for each one along with its install. Many roms come with oc'able kernels.

Thanks for making me understan what kernel and roms are. The windows comparims cleared it all up.

Question everytime I want to flash a new rom do I need to wype my phone like the first time I had to root? Or can I simply just put the update.zip file on my sd card and reboot intl SVPRecovery and install it that way.

Do I some how have to remove my current rom first? Can you educate me a little on how to be able to switch between roms at anytime I want.

Last question... I got chevys 1ghz kernel, but setcpu installed will this allow me to chqnge the overclock settings even though chevys is set to 1ghz? I mean when I change the profile settings up top I see the speeds changing so I think its working when I tell it to underclock on certain situtations. Thanks for your help.