solving battery drain issue

mamawm

Reaction score
this post is just an fyi for everyone. for the last few weeks my battery has been draining really fast and driving me nuts. i couldn't make it thru the day without having to recharge at least once and maybe twice. i had decided that the battery was on its last leg and i was going to need to replace it. afterall, the phone went out of warranty last month. in my state of frustration, i went into settings, applications, running services and just sat there watching the screen, when low and behold, google maps just popped up with latitude in tow. what the heck, i havent used google maps in probably 5 months and have never used latitude! so i did a quick force close. a few hours later my battery was still draining really fast. so i went back into running services and watched for a few minutes and what do you know, google maps popped up again. by now im really irritated. i went into manage apps and uninstalled all updates to google maps. then i went to the market and sure enough, google maps was set to auto update. i deselected that right quick then did a quick scan of all my other downloads just to make sure that nothing else was set to auto update. it's now been 4 days since all this transpired and now i easily make it from 6am til 9pm before the battery gets low. that was the source of my grief and consternation after all. and the moral to the story is = don't allow anything to update automatically! keep control for yourself and that way when something acts up, you know what you did and it's much easier to solve your problem.